CenPeCo 15w-40 Super HD--5K in Cummins 5.9 ISB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was ran in my 2004.5 "600" cummins. Mostly trailer towing and severe use. Have been using CenPeCo on farm for ages and wanted to see how it did in a UOA. I also need to know a better way to post these. Thanks.

Miles on oil: ~5000
Miles on Unit: 16,700

"Nothing too unusual showed up in the first sample from the Cummins in your Ram. Potassium
typically shows anti-freeze contamination, however, it's fairly common in new engines (possibly from pre-lube grease), so it may not be a problem. It should drop next sample and is something we’ll keep an eye on. Other than that, everything looks great. Wear matched up well with averages. Universal averages show typical wear from the engine type after about 6,500 miles on the oil. Your oil appears
to be holding up well. Try 6,000 miles on the next fill.

ALUMINUM.....6
CHROMIUM.....1
IRON.........24
COPPER.......3
LEAD.........1
TIN..........0
MOLYBDENUM...3
NICKEL.......0
MANGANESE....1
SILVER ......1
TITANIUM.....0
POTASSIUM....28
BORON........10
SILICON......11
SODIUM.......5
CALCIUM......3934
MAGNESIUM....353
PHOSPHORUS...1275
ZINC.........1479
BARIUM.......83

SUS
VISCOSITY@210F 75.4

INSOLUBLES% 0.5

WATER% 0.0

ANTIFREEZE% ?

FUEL%
FLASHPOINT
IN ºF 430

TBN 9.1

Looks like yet another late model Cummins with a high potassium level. I'm convinced there is some inherent problem with the block/head castings or head gasket.

High potassium levels were very uncommon in the ISB until the 2003 models.

Anyone solve their high potassium problem? What was found to be the culprit?
frown.gif

Are my Silicon levels all right? Am running an Air Raid drop in.

Is potassium going to hurt anything, or than just meaning I am losing some antifreeze into my oil?

I want to see what my next oil change brings in as far as potassium goes before getting it to the dealer.

How does this oil look other than that? Good for heavy duty tractors/farm equipment?

Oh yeah, the antifreeze is the long life 100K mile crapola.

Great, new truck with problems. Just my luck.

Other than the potassium the oil has held up very good. I've stated before that this is a good oil.
I would consider going a shorter interval next time to see if it is the anti-freeze or the new engine as suggested.

Without knowing the brand of coolant I can't say much about the additives level. Potassium is commonly used in extended life coolant. Boron and Phosphorous and moly are also found in coolants too. The potassium is usually an indicator of coolant entry but it should not cause problems. I would however watch it carefully. It is very common to have a coolant leak without ever showing positive antifreeze so don't let that fool you. To be on the safe side take a sample right after changing oil and then again in a couple of thousand miles. Watch the K levels and see what happens.

Stinky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back