03 Duramax Delvac-1 34Kmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click here for 03 Duramax UOA report

5055 miles on Mobil Delvac-1... Sample taken at 34329 miles.

Filters: Baldwin B1441 Full Flow & OilGuard Bypass (with internal neodymium magnets)

smile.gif

Nice... What did the magnets look like when you pulled the bypass filter? Any metallic junk on them?

Does you engine have a magnet on the drain plug, like most GM engines Ive seen do?

JMH

JMH,

I've had the magnets in for about 10k but haven't changed the bypass filter yet so I'm not sure how much stuff they are picking up. My oil guard currently is set up to return oil through a fitting on the pan drain hole do there is no magnet there.. I'm anxious to see what is on the magnets so I may change the bypass at the next oil change.

Stinky,

I have been changing the oil at 5k....probably could let it go alot longer but I guess I'm still old school..
smile.gif
5k is my limit.
smile.gif
The Duramax has an oil monitor system that typically indicates a change is needed at 10kmiles.

smile.gif

Bill

I wouldn't have any reservations about going to 7,500 miles and you can probably go more. What we do when we are extending drains is get a sample at the recommended interval without changing oil. Then we will go a couple thousand more and take another sample without changing oil. We keep doing this until we get to where we want to be or until there is a jump in wear or condition indicators. They we back off a couple thousand miles and use that as the change interval. We always like to have at least 4 or 5 sample reports before we start extending so we have a good idea how it is trending.

Stinky

Stinky,

Thanks for the advice..
smile.gif
I had run 3 samples prior to the two reported in the link above. In these earlier samples the Cu and Si levels were a little high but trending down (a charateristic of the Duramax). Now that the Si is in the single digits and the Cu is still coming down I feel better about extending the drain... That is if I can resist the temptation to tinker with my truck ...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back