01 Dodge/Cummins Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sample is for a interval of 15,ooo miles. No make up oil or filter changes during interval. A mix of city and highway driving with alot of towing heavy equipment and trailers full of firewood. Tyhe sample was done by AVlubes
Iron- 48
Chromium-6
Lead-3
Copper-9
Aluminum-7
Silver-0
Nickel-0
Silicon-6
Boron-40
Sodium-6
Potassium-10
Magnesium-511
Calcium-2206
Phosphorus-1484
Zinc-1582
Molybdenum-7
Fuel- acceptable
Water Viscosity in cst at 100 celcius- 13.8
soot-.1
Nitration-10
Oxidation-16.0

So how dos this look?

Lead and silicon looks outstanding. This is a durable engine. I drive a yard truck for a living and my last truck went 56k hours at 500 hour oci on the engine before the truck was traded in for a new one. Wal-mart private fleet used mobil delvac 1300 in it as they do on their otr trucks.

I was using the stock filtration system with a Fleetguard filter.
FWIW I ran Duron at 10,ooo mile intervals in this same truck with good results.

Howard, I used Duron 15-40 dino on my 92 5.9 cummins diesel, I believe this 12 valver is same as your 95. I went 5500 kms and here is partial specs on metal wear.

copper 0
iron 5
chrome 0
lead 0
alum 1
Vis was 14.8 at 100C

I go 5K to 6K km OCI because a filter has to be changed by then IMO, if I have to change filter, it is 90% of OCI so I do the oil too. My brother takes this waste oil along with on a cheap fram filter and uses this waste oil another 5K on his junker 4x4, no waste. I use fleetguard filter, #LF3349

I had 74 soot level with a previous Walmart oil at same interval and 0 with Duron, I read Duron has great soot control, I am a believer.

I am currently doing an analysis on 15-40 dino XD3, I have just switched to 0-40 XD3 full synthetic oil for $4.20 litre at Esso bulk, $1.20 more than 15-40 dino in XD3 or Duron. I will still do 5500-6000 kms OCI, for that price, how can I lose on syn oil in 12 litre OCI. This XD3 syn oil is 12.2 TBN, 15.7 visc at 100C and -60F or -45C pour point. I will use this XD3 syn oil year round and pernamently as long as the $4.20 litre bulk Esso price remains, cant beat it.

I just put this 0-40 XD3 and my oil pressure increased, I dont know why, other syn oils decreased pressure, this 0-40 syn has the same visc as the XD3 15-40 dino, my engine quieted down as did my neigbor's 99 cummins on syn XD3. Great oil, starts great and warms fast, great high temp protection.

Cyprs

Blano, this XD3 full syn poa Ci-4/Sl oil is made by Mobil at half the price, Mobil makes Esso syn oil, might want to try it, I am sold on it and will run it 6K kms at that price and give it to my brother to recycle in his junkers.

Cyprs

I am going to try and get a 10,ooo kms OCI on this truck. I will be doing a couple of oil analysis to see if it will go that long. This cummins is really easy on oil so I think it should make it that long. The Duron 5W-40 that I am running has a high TBN and also handles soot really well.

I have had really good luck in my VW TDI with the Duron 5W-40 and I am hoping to only stock one type of oil.

Does it ever, when I switched to the 15-40 Duron Dino my soot went from 74 previously on another oil to 0 with Duron. My first analysis on XD3 15-40 (summer oil) is coming this week, I will be looking close at soot level in comparison to the Duron. If not for XD3 0-40 syn and the $2.00 litre price saving on this syn, I would be using 5-40 Duron syn this winter, last year there were posts that said Duron syn rivaled equal with Mobil. If my first XD3 0-40 syn analysis fails after this winter useage, I go to Duron too. Fellas around here on oil rigs say their oil companies use Duron dino in those hardworking diesels that work 24/7.

Cyprs

I pay $4.55/L here for the 5W-40 Duron. I run it in everything (i.e., VW TDI, Dodge Cummins, Ford 4.9L, lawnmower, etc.). So far I have had great luck. The Cummins has a pretty big sump so I thought I would try to get a few more kms out of the oil. I was looking at the XD-3 but I don't need the 0 weight as it doesn't get that cold here on the island and I don't get to Alberta that much anymore.

Back when I worked rigs in Aberta we used to use whatever type of oil was available in the locale where the rig was working. It ended up being the XD-3 quite often.

Howard, $4.55 for 5-40 syn oil? That is only .35 litre more that XD3. Great deal, is that Petro Canada bulk station's or regular gas fill station's oil price? Is that regular price or can one do better on bulk. I was told by one Petro Can Gas station attendand that Petro Can 5-40 syn was about $6.50 per litre. One rancher in this area told me that Duron x-30 weight syn out specs the 0-40 syn XD3, the price given to me at Petro Can gas station drove me away from Duron and over to Esso.

Cyprs

I have also ran duron 5w40 at 10k intervals with good results. BTW all my figures are in miles. I am from the USA. but live in CA during the summer.

Cyprs,

I buy my Duron from the local Petro-Can bulk dealer. I have also purchased it in Alberta for a slightly lower price. I ran the 0W-30 Duron XL for 2 OCI's in the TDI but I didn't like the extra ticking at startup. I have also tried Delvac 1 but don't like the oil consumption that came with it. The 5W-40 Duron is my favorite and easy to get. It should be available at any Petro-Pass cardlock and there are a lot of them. Have a look Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back