Amsoil 15W40 F350 02- 10,767 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its been months since I have been on the board and I was going into serious oil withdrawl.
frown.gif
But now the move is complete and I have a UOA ,under conditions I would consider extreme, to post.

Here' s the background. 2002 F350, with 36,267 on it. I changed the oil and filter at 25,000 and installed a bypass oil filter at 30,000. At that time I put on a new amsoil filter and added 5 qts of make up oil.

We were moving, so the Truck was pulling a fully loaded travel trailer with a cgvw of 16,800.
We moved from WA to PA. We took the southern route through Vegas in AUG and up through UT, CO and then straight across. The truck saw temps of 115F for hours on end and climbing grades of 7% and altitudes of 10,000FT over in CO. So this was a good test for the oil. Additionally since we were camping we experienced lots of dust.
The oil is currently still in the truck and I am awaiting Terry's expert advice.
worshippy.gif

Here are the numbers:

Aluminun- 2
CHROMIUM- 2
Iron - 34
copper- 7
lead- 4
Tin- 0
Moly- 1
Nickel- 1
manganese-1
silver- 0
titanium- 0
potassium - 7
Boron - 0
Silicon - 14
sodium - 2
calcium- 4120
magnesium - 9
phosphorus -1064
zinc- 1209
barium - 0

SUS viscosity- 69.4
Flashpoint 465
insolubles - .5
TBN 9.4

Amsoil HDD is 5W30. I am surprised to see the insolubles so high - is your bypass filter working? Does it get hot?

Well Terry and I are concerned about the high FE trend that has developed. So the amsoil is going to come out and I am going to run a 5,000 interval of DELO 400 and resample.

Do you have other 10,000 mile samples with that kind of work on the motor to make a valid comparison?

Just looking at the one data-point, 34ppm iron did not seem high given the specifics of this OCI.

Now, if you've managed a 20ppm result under the same conditions with another oil...that's another story. I'm guessing this was your most severe OCI to date.....???

Tim

Guess it is hard to decipher with out all the data.

I was into the turbo alot due to towing the Travel trailer but I have other samples towing in similar conditions

Here is the history:
5,000 miles on oil with 14,000 on the truck with shell Rotella:
FE13

6,000 miles on Amsoil AME 20,900 on truck
FE 21

8,500 on amsoil 22,500 on truck
FE 19

11,600 on amsoil 25,500
FE 27

4,365 on amsoil with 29800 on truck
FE 11 (also put on the bypass system)

10700 on amsoil with 36,300 on truck
FE 34 ( big spike!)

Insolubles have held steady on each report of .4, I was installing the bypass to help drop it.

The concern is contamination either during install of the bypass or filtration issue, the Silicon levels are okay.

My thinking is replace with fresh oil and see what happens, if there is no unusal signs then I will pick up with the extend interval with amsoil again.

I have rechecked the air filter system and it is nice and tight no leaks.

flynavydiesel, I went to the powerstroke oil anaylsis site and your engine's iron may not be out of line when compared to some of the other engines.

flynavydiesel,

I read your first post a few times and I was under the impression that you had an Amsoil Bypass filter. But after reading it again for the 10'th time, you installed an Amsoil Full Flow filter. Your bypass filter is an Oil Guard, remembering back to your days in Washington State when you installed it. I had the Oil Guard EPS-20 on my 95 diesel and sold it because of my oil analysis. I now run a different Company's filter. (TP)

A couple things to look at, the particles should all be fairly small, under 5 micron. For the pull you just made, that iron reading is normal. You are not going to duplicate that reading again with normal driving, unless your winter in PA does its job on your 15W40 dino oil. Your insolubles are not to high for the trip you just made. Really about normal for a 10K oil sample on a PSD.

For oil sampling on both PSD's I use the Fumoto valve. I run the engine to town, and when I get home I leave it running. I put on a pair of leather gloves and take 2 quart jars, one I fill and the other I take about 4 ounces for the sample. Then just pour the full one back in the engine.

Steve, I need to check my levels out compared to others. I did find my oil sample port on the bypass was leaking slightly. The threads were stripped. I have a new port coming. I will run a dino and test, so I do not waste a good batch of AMSOIL.

I am a little disappointed in the bypasses results or lack of filtering but I put it on mid run and it has only had 6,000 of driving on it. I will see what it does with a fresh load of oil.

Vetterman, The trip was definitely a good test for the truck and the oil. At first the FE did not make me worried but Terry's comment on the huge spike did. I am trying to find the spreadsheet on TDS, to compare my FE readings. Couple members there have said the FE is about normal for the conditions the oil experienced.

I am up in the air about what to put in this next run. I would hate to put in the amsoil only to find and issue and dump it at 5,000K. I want to give the oil guard a good honest run with clean oil and see how it does.

MSparks,

Based on the F350 spreadsheet the FE level is 15ppm above the average trend. I did notice also that AMSOIL had on average lower FE numbers on extended drain but the FE trend increases with the lenght of time the oil is in service, as to be expected.

I do not know what to do. I am leaning towards changing the oil out and refilling with amsoil again and see what happens on this run. The FE was not that out of limits.

Oh, I was in Clarkesville two weeks ago on a Navy trip. Nice town the Blackhorse had a great deal on pizza and beer. Good Beer!!!

Fly,
Figure your iron in ppm/1000 miles. That gives one good way to view the figures adjusted for driving distance.

Be sure to keep heat on your diesel engine for a few hours before starting in those cold Pennsylvania winter days if possible. This will reduce cold start winter wear.

You might also ask Terry his views of switching to Schaeffer oil for your engine.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back