2004.5 Dodge Cummins , PetroCanada 15W40, Frantz ByPass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a oil sample from my 2004.5 Dodge Cummins, with a Frantz By-pass filter, Stratapore filter and PetroCanada Duron 15W40 oil. The truck has 16335km on it, with 4357km on the oil. The TP was changed after the sample was taken. The recomended oil change interval is 12000/24000km I took this sample so I can see what the silicon levels are with the factory paper filter, and compare it once I install an AFE intake system with a Proguard 7 filter. I am also concerned with my soot levels in my truck, since the oil turns black almost immediately after an oil change.

The oil analysis was a Caterpillar SOS kit, and the analysis was done by Kramer, in Regina SK. The kit cost $16.95

Wear Elements

Cu 2
Fe 15
Cr 0
Pb 0
AL 4
Si 7
Mo 2
Na 1
Sn 1
Zn 1380
Ca 3432
Mg 16
P 1227

Oil Condition/Contaminants (Reported in terms of % max allowable)
Water N
Fuel N
Glycol N
Soot 43
Oxi 29
Nit 28
Sul 24
Vis 14.5

I am going to phone tomorrow and find out what they consider the max allowable levels for soot, oxidation, sulfation and nitration. The soot level concerns me. Looks like I am not going to make it to 12000 km before the soot maxes out, even with the bypass installed.

I think there is something wrong with the injection system on this truck. A buddy of mine has a 2003 Dodge and he gets significantly better mileage, and his oil dosn't get dark at all, even after 12000 km.

Carl

[ August 04, 2004, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: cak446 ]

$16.95 for the whole test? I'm paying like $50 a pop from Metro-Tech in Calgary although that does include TBN. Will Kramer analyze any sample or does it have to be a diesel engine?

I am now using 15-40 Duron with a Fleetguard Microlark filter, (this microlark is recommended by my Cummins implement dealer for my 92 Dodge diesel). My oil now has 4000 kms, it is dirt blonde now, like new.

Does Kramer mail out the Kit on request, Cak446? How can I contact them?

Cyprs

Thanks for the info! I'll consider my options once my Metro-Tech kits run out. I checked my invoice and here's the details:

routine analysis-$15.85
oxidation/nitration-$13
TBN(base number)-$18
tax-$3.28
total-$50.13

So it looks like I'm getting hosed on the additional tests.

Well I phoned Kramer and was unable to get any answers on what the maximum allowable limits are for soot oxidation, nitration, and sulfation, since the person who interprets the oil analysis is on holidays until Monday.

olympic- Kramer will analyze any oil for $16.95, which includes a posted paid bottle to send the sample to Regina. $50 is too much to pay for an oil analysis. Slaveley Services www.staveleycan.com out of Edmonton charges 14.50 for a basic kit and 19.50 with a TBN test. The drawbacks are that you have to order the kits in multiples of ten, and they do not test for oxidation, nitration and sulfation like the Cat SOS kits. Most truck shops around here use Staveley kits and I can get a basic kit for $16.30 at Midwest Detroit Diesel. None of the shops I called knew what TBN, and just sold the basic kits.

Another option is Fluid Life out of Edmonton. http://www.fluidlife.com I have used them before and was pleased with the results. They include a virgin oil sample of the oil you are using. Their kits are more pricey however, at $17.50 for the basic test, and $37.50 for TBN. And once again you have to buy their kits in multiples of ten.

Cyprs- The closest place for you to get a kit will be Kramer out of Swift Current. Check out Kramer’s web page at www.kramerltd.com to get the number of the Swift Current shop.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back