'03 VW TDI, Rotella T Syn 5W-40, 30k on vehicle 9814 on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I received my report back from Blackstone labs and am pretty thrilled about the results (being my first analysis). I was concerned the the Rotella T did not hold up because it seemed to thicken a bit towards the end (longer pump up time for hydraulic lifters and lower fuel economy) but the analysis proves otherwise.

I drive my car hard also, I am easy on it until it is fully warmed up. Once warmed up my shift points are around 3000-3500 RPM with 3/4-WOT pedal useage and a few WOT 0-4500 RPM redline runs getting onto the freeway. By no means abusive though.

The oil was in use 9814 miles, about 4 months of service (Mar - July). About 60% highway/40% city, powerservice silver was used on about 60% of the miles and mostly BP/Amoco "Premium" or Hess 45 cetane diesel was used. No makeup oil was added however car was about 1/2-3/4 quart low after 9800 miles. I had been using Delvac 1 prior to this change and used the Rotella T 5W-40 because I did not have the time to wait for the Delvac 1.

Aluminum - 3
Chromium - 2
Iron - 24
Copper - 3
Lead - 2
Tin - 0
Moly - 1
Nickel - 1
Manganese - 1
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 1
Silicon - 3
Sodium - 2
Calcium - 3509
Magnesium - 116
Phosphorus - 980
Zinc - 1154
Barium - 0

TBN - 6.2

Sus Visc @ 210F
Should be - 65-76
Tested at - 73.6

Flashpoint
Should be - >410
Tested at - 455F

Fuel - .5%
Water - 0
Insolubles - .3%
Antifreeze - 0

Blackstone comments:

We found nothing unusual in this initial sample from your Volkswagen. Universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine after a routine oil use of about 6,000 miles. Your oil was in use 9,814 miles, and we found all wear from your engine very close to these averages, which is a good indication of normally wearing parts and careful operation. No fuel, moisture or anti-freeze was found. The TBN read 6.2, showing plenty of active additive remaining (a TBN of 1.0 is low). Resample at your next regular oil change to establish wear trends for your engine.

Thanks guys.

That's a very good report on this oil! I may switch to it once I finish this run of D1 since it's quite a bit cheaper and easier to find. Do you have any mods on the car?

--Matt

Soot loading? I guess they label it as 'insolubles'? If so, thats nice and low for a diesel, almost too low.

JMH

The only non-factory things I have done to the car are turn down the EGR to minimum and cut out the snowscreen. Other then that all stock, OEM oil/fuel/air filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back