Esso XD-3 0w40, 2004 F250 PSD, 5,000miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the OE fill at 6,000km and ran this oil until 14,000km. This truck is used mostly for work on weekends, hauling stuff in the bed. I do a mixture of hwy and a lot of stop/go/idling, about 800km per week. On a scale of 1-10 in terms of severity I'd say it's about a 7. I also drive in a lot of dusty areas which combined with a brand new engine explains the high silicon and iron.

As from other 6.0 PSD analysis I've seen before, the viscosity has taken a beating, from 15.4 to 9.8!
shocked.gif
The fuel is also a little high at 3% but that number is also normal for new 6.0's and should be lower on the next analysis, unless I have problems with the injectors.

For this interval, I decided to try the Delvac 1300s 15w40. Do you guys think I should do an 5,000mile interval again or lower? Ford recomeends 5,000 miles for 'severe duty'. Any other comments welcome. First values are VOE
  • Aluminum 0, 1.3
    Chromium 0, 1.1
    Iron 1, 45
    Copper 1, 10
    Lead 0, 1.2
    Tin 0, 1.3
    Moly 2, 0.6
    Nickel 0, 0
    Manganese 0, 0
    Silver 0, 0.4
    Titanium 0, 0
    Potassium 1, 12
    Boron 0, 0.7
    Silicon 2, 64
    Sodium 1, 3.4
    Calcium 3175, 2938
    Magnesium 5, 9.0
    Phosphorus 1083, 1005
    Zinc 1241, 1192
    Barium 0, 0.7
    Viscosity 15.4, 9.8
    Flashpoint 415,
    TBN 12.5, 8.06
Fuel 3%
Glycol NEG
Water Soot 0%
Sulfation 56
Nitration 64
Oxidation 63

[ July 13, 2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

Oh yeah, I was well aware of that before I sampled, been monitoring the dieselstop board and that study for a while. Even the mighty D1 has sheared too, but I was a little suprised on how much this oil did shear, from 15.2 to 9.8. I guess I'll have to stick to short intervals until the fuel dilution subsides..

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
I can't wait to see a the Delvac 1300 UOA!!

I would say to change at 5K since that's the OCI you used with the Esso...

I probably will since the fuel dilution and silicone should be a bit lower. I must admit, I'm curious how it will perform but I'm hoping to eventually find a better solution in the 5w40 area since I will be using this truck everyday in the Canadian winter.
canada.gif
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
I must admit, I'm curious how it will perform but I'm hoping to eventually find a better solution in the 5w40 area since I will be using this truck everyday in the Canadian winter.
canada.gif
smile.gif
Have you considered Rotella 0w-40? It's a 100% synthetic HDEO comprised from a mix of mainly PAO with some diester...

I thought the shearing is the result of the very high pressure diesel injection system that is new in the 6.0L.

It will be interesting to see if the Delvac 15w-40 is more shear stable in this engine.

Rotella makes a 0w40? I've never seen that around here, only the 5w40.

As a sidebar, why would an engine manufacturer design such a high pressure injection system that looks to shear even the toughest oils in a rather low interval?
frown.gif

Ford is trying to sell trucks in California I imagine. The high pressure system reduces emissions.

On another note, I wonder if the loss in viscosity had something to do with the fuel system not running properly, since it relies on oil pressure.

Or maybe its related to driving? Is this a manual or automatic. Maybe changing your shift points would help.

Also, if you do a lot of idling, there may be a product that steps up the idle speed to a point slightly faster where the engine runs better. Don't a lot of commercial trucks use such a device?

I a lot of idling but usually only for 2-3 mins.. while I unload/setup, otherwise I shut it off.

The viscosity breakdown issue is not only with my engine, virtually EVERY UOA in that study shows reduced viscosity on the oil. It has nothing to do with the shiftpoints(mine is auto anyway)

Quick,I suspect that the vis and fuel dilute is from excess foaming allowing the increased shear and YES the dilution as the injection system is artificially riched.

Consider our services in the future for more assistance.

XD 3 is a very fine motor oil unless they have changed the chemistry in the last year or so.

Without getting into "paid services" Terry, are you saying that this viscosity breakdown can somehow be prevented? Becaue it is happening with pretty much any HDEO that's used in the 6.0 PSD, at least according to all the analysis feedback in that spreadsheet.

Maybe, with a tougher ( shear resistant) oil. Also 3% fuel is WAY too high.

END free stuff,
smile.gif

Terry, Esso XD3 has changed from semi syn to full syn up here in last half year, has Exxon XD3 been semi syn there till recently too? It obviously has changed up here in last year.

Cyprs

I had concerns on this 0-30 being too thick (for winter) for a Nissan Altima with very tight clearances, but, this 0-30 has better pour point than full syn *5-30* superflo. If my engine feels sluggish with this thick 0-30 then I will know it is too thick I guess. This oil must be pretty heavy dute, it has much better heat viscosity than Superflo syn by Esso too.

I think it will work fine.

Cyprs

Sorry about all the posts, forgot one more thing, Rick, that 2 litre engine of yours if probably close in clearances to a Nissan engine, glad to hear this oil is doing a good job. No sluggish response from this supposedly thick oil I take it eh?

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back