Just recieved my 1st oil analisis results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back my results from my first oil analysis. I have a 04 6.0 PSD. I'm hoping someone here can interpret it for me. Like the TBN number, and the visc100. This analysis was done by Oil Guard. Not as comprehensive as Blackstone however. I'll use Blackstone next time. I think it was interesting what they said about the viscosity being "Higher than typical for the given oil type" My oil was the factory fill with 3077 miles which someone here said was Motorcraft 10W30. Maybe it was really 15W40? Maybe my motor is not shearing the oil like some other 6.0's? Any input will be very appreciated. Thanks.

Sample ID: visc100 water SOOt fuel glycol
--------------13.6___0.1___0___0.2____0

Sample ID: FE CR PB CU SN AL SI NA MO K
-----------35_0__6__29__1__1_246_0__0__0

Sample ID: OXID NITR SYN SAE TBN
-----------0.6__3.7__0.0_43__8.3

Recommendations:
ENGINE WEAR RATES NORMAL FOR BREAK-IN/OVERHAUL PERIOD. ENGINE WEAR RATES NORMAL FOR FIRST OIL CHANGE. SILICON IS FROM ENGINE SEALANT (GASKET MATERIAL). VISCOSITY HIGHER THAN TYPICAL FOR THE GIVEN OIL TYPE.

Congratulations on the new ride.

You have no problems with that first analysis. Expect the wear metals to drop at every analysis till break-in is complete. That process may take 40,000 miles to finish.

What kind of oil did you use to replace the factory oil with?

That's a 15W-40. Silicon will drop as seals stop seeping, other wear materials will decrease. Really won't get a good reading of how the engine is doing till 10,000 to 20,000 miles.....

Hey Fred, not sure if you know but there is a site dedicated to the PSD. http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/
I have a 04 6.0 myself, will be doing an oil analysis next week, XD-3 0w40 with about 5,000 miles of hard usage. There is a group oil analysis link, and from most it looks like this engine is very hard on oil and shears it quite easily.
Here is the file: http://members.aol.com/fmtrvt/OilStudy/60current.pdf
You will also notice that iron and silicon decrease as the engine breaks in..
That looks like a very good analysis.

[ June 23, 2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

quote:

Originally posted by FredsF250TD:
I just got back my results from my first oil analysis. I have a 04 6.0 PSD. I'm hoping someone here can interpret it for me. Like the TBN number, and the visc100. This analysis was done by Oil Guard. Not as comprehensive as Blackstone however. I'll use Blackstone next time. I think it was interesting what they said about the viscosity being "Higher than typical for the given oil type" My oil was the factory fill with 3077 miles which someone here said was Motorcraft 10W30. Maybe it was really 15W40? Maybe my motor is not shearing the oil like some other 6.0's? Any input will be very appreciated. Thanks.

Sample ID: visc100 water SOOt fuel glycol
--------------13.6___0.1___0___0.2____0

Sample ID: FE CR PB CU SN AL SI NA MO K
-----------35_0__6__29__1__1_246_0__0__0

Sample ID: OXID NITR SYN SAE TBN
-----------0.6__3.7__0.0_43__8.3

Recommendations:
ENGINE WEAR RATES NORMAL FOR BREAK-IN/OVERHAUL PERIOD. ENGINE WEAR RATES NORMAL FOR FIRST OIL CHANGE. SILICON IS FROM ENGINE SEALANT (GASKET MATERIAL). VISCOSITY HIGHER THAN TYPICAL FOR THE GIVEN OIL TYPE.

Sorry, It was kind of hard to read.

FE 35
CR 0
PB 6
CU 29
SN 1
AL 1
SI 246
NA 0
MO 0
K 0

0XID 0.6
NITR 3.7
SYN 0.0
SAE 43.0
TBN 8.3

Visc (100C) 13.6
Water 0.1
Soot 0.0
Fuel 0.2
Glycol 0.0

Gene

Many engines are not shipped dry. I suspect the oil may be whatever Navistar puts in the 6.0 PSD at the factory. Likely a 15W-40 HDE0. I believe Chevron Delo 400 was the factory fill at one time during 7.3 production. Dont know if it still is.

for 3000 miles on the oil the TBN of 8.3 sounds a little low compared to UOA's of other oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back