2000 VW TDI using AMSOIL 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test was performed by Predictive Maintenance Services. www.AVLube.com

Oil used was AMSOIL full synthetic 15w-40.

99,887 miles on engine

9921 miles & 6 months on oil.

Iron = 49

Chromium = 3

Lead = 0

Copper = 6

Tin = 1

Aluminum = 9

Nickel = 10

Silver = 0

Silicon = 4

Boron = 1

Sodium = 7

Potassium = 3

Magnesium = 25

Calcium = 3475

Phosphorus = 1623

Zinc = 1726

Molybdenum = 0

Fuel = A

Water = < 0.1

Glycol = N

Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt = 15.7

Oxidation = 61.00

Nitration = 12.00

Soot = 0.3

TBN = 8.43

Comment: Wear and contamination levels appear normal. No corrective action indicated by tests performed. Continue normal PM and sample interval.

Iron seems high but everything else seems great. Notice how much higher Avlube reports ZDP? Remember when George posted the M1R ZDP as almost 2000ppm? Blackstone Labes was 25-30% less! That should tell you the variances with labs. **** ! The Amsoil 15w-40 is a nice oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Is that oxidation a percent or a scale? Which scale?

Not sure which. Soot, Oxidation, and Nitration are all together in the same "box", so I guess it's %.
dunno.gif

61% oxidation is either a problem or an anomaly.

One analysis does not establish a trend. The next analysis will tell the tale.

If you just changed brands maybe the Amsoil additive package was clashing with what ever was in their before.

Or possibly your leaving to much used oil in the engine at the change.

In my TDI a normal oil change will leave 12 or 13 oz. of old oil in the cooler. Plus if I use an extractor to drain the sump another 8 or 9 Oz's is left in the crank case.

So I drain via the drain plug and suction the cooler with a Pela extractor.

My analysis numbers with Schaeffer's 15w-40 are significantly better. But I also had a probably additive clash on my first analysis.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000078

Can't wait to see the next analysis.

[ May 22, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

This particular lab always show very high oxidation levels with the various Amsoil formulations. I've specifically seen this with the Series 2000, 0w-30. The problem is that their FTIR equipment is not properly calibrated to account for the ester content used in the Amsoil basestock blend, which shows up at the same approx wavelength as the byproducts of oxidation.

If you send them a sample of Redline, you'll see the oxidation is through the roof....

As for this analysis, normally high Fe/Cr/Ni means abrasive wear of stainless steel, from the intake and/or exhaust valves. That's the first thing I'd check, even though the silicon level is low. Diesels use high tension piston rings due to their compression ratios, so the dirt that's ingested doesn't necessarily end up in the crankcase ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

If oxidation is 61, it's NOT percentage. It's probably their own scale or the 1-200 scale....with the TBN over 8 I doubt that number, in fact...it seems meaningless.

The Fe does seem high. Can't say why, could be some clean up.

I bought the car with 45k miles. No idea of the PO's oil choice. But the EGR was sqeaky clean, no sign of build-up at all.

45k - 60k = Castrol Syntec 5w-40

60k - 70k = Shell Rotella 5w-40

70k - 100k = AMSOIL 15w-40

100k - Present = AMSOIL 5w-40

I'll have the new AMSOIL 5w-40 oil analysed at my next oil change and post both numbers for comparison.

Hey Chris,
I'm looking forward to seeing your numbers. I have about 700 miles on the AFL in my Passat...I suspect you'll have the first report to post. :)

Andy

I'll be changing my oil next week when the oil analysis kit comes in from Avlube. Looks like I'll be the first to have a sample of Amsoil 5w-40 analysed.
cool.gif

Just got finished changing the oil. 10,068 miles on the oil sample, 109,955 miles on the engine. I'll be mailing it out this afternoon. Can't wait to see the results.
grin.gif

I've had rather high Iron and nickel in my TDI as well. I swapped out the reusable air filter for an OEM paper between the 1st and 2nd test and the nickel improved slightly. Following is the results of my tests on my '00 Jetta TDI running Amsoil 5w-30 3000 series. I've got the EGR bypassed, a VanAaken power box, hard on the go-pedal, and try to run supreme 50 cetane diesel whenever I can. I switched to Delvac 1 after these two tests, but did not test the first drain of that. I will be testing the next drain which at 94k miles or a few weeks by the way things are going.

Car had 66,500/76,051 miles at time of drains. Miles on oil 11,700/9,550. Test was with AVLube.

Iron- 51/63
Chromium- 4/3
Lead- 0/0
Copper- 8/8
Tin- 1/0
Aluminum- 12/9
Nickel- 8/4
Silver- 0/0
Silicon- 6/4
Boron- 1/0
Sodium- 11/10
Potasium- 2/2