Flashpoint 470

Fuel
Antifreeze 0.0

Water 0.0

Insolubles 0.5

TBN 5.2

My first UOA
grin.gif
from a 1983 300TD Turbodiesel. Driving is approximately 50/50 city and highway. I don't know what type of Pennzoil this is, or its API rating. The previous change was a mix of oils around the garage I wanted to use up (mix of CI-4 Delo 15w-40 and SL Havoline 10w-40)

Are the insolubles mostly soot?

Comments?

I would not use the Pennzoil 20W50 or the Havoline 10W40 in this engine. Neither are diesel rated oils. Stick with either the Delo 400 15W40 or try Pennzoil Long Life 15W40, or Mobil 1300 15W40. Some might suggest a synthetic diesel oil, but with this mileage I would stick with either of the three listed above. These are great engines. My cousin in Dallas has one with over 400,000 miles on it.

I aggree about the coice of oils for the last 2 intervals. This last interval with Pennzoil was put in by an independent shop when I had my 180k mile service. The oil was changed out when I took this sample. I'm currently using Rotella 5w-40 in this car.

The key question I wanted to address was how long a conventional oil could last in this engine (it has had 5,000 mile intervals since new, not necessarily a HDMO every time), and if this would be limited by additive depletion or soot accumulation. I'll naively assume that insolubles at 0.5% means there isn't a whole lot of blow-by dumping soot into the oil
dunno.gif

Ler,

You need to run a CI-4 rated lube in this engine.

No PCEO's.

No synthetic (either PCEO's or HDEO's) needed either.

Run a top quality CI-4/SL $6/gallon 15w-40 HDEO (Delvac, Long-Life, Delo).

Jelly, why no "synthetic"s?

I decided on 5w-40 because of my commute- I cross over a small range that seperates West LA from "The Valley" every morning. Within 2 minutes of starting, I'm climbing a pretty steep grade, 2000rpm at 20mph, for a good 5 minutes. I figure a 5w rating would help with better cold flow.

pat.gif
Well, you can tell I have not had enough sleep. Forgot to recommend the oil of the company I work for. Shell Rotella T 15W40 or the Rotella T 5W40.

I can't speek for Jelly, but when I refer to synthetics I am refering to PAO/ESTER based synthetics. These could cause oil consumption with this many miles. The Shell 5W40 is a Group III XHVI synthetic. If you don't have any consumption with this oil, continue to use it. It's a very good product. But if you do start to have some consumption problems, switch to a 15
W40. I would not think you would need a 5W in the LA area.

Any of the oils listed above could do 5,000 to 7,500 mile changes easy. Do some UOA'S and you could probably extend it even further. The HDEO of today are pretty robust and these 300TD engines are pretty easy on oil.

[ April 15, 2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Johnny ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ler:
Jelly, why no "synthetic"s?

I decided on 5w-40 because of my commute- I cross over a small range that seperates West LA from "The Valley" every morning. Within 2 minutes of starting, I'm climbing a pretty steep grade, 2000rpm at 20mph, for a good 5 minutes. I figure a 5w rating would help with better cold flow.

I just said no synthetics because I don't believe they are needed in this application. If you want to run them though then by all means go right ahead.

If you're in L.A., I'm not concerned about the cold-flow properties of the top-name CI-4/SL HDEO's.

I'd strongly recommend checking out Delvac 1300...

Ler

I agree you don't need to worry about low temp flow in LA. Unless of course you spend time at Big Bear in the winter.

Isn't that great about S. Cali. Swim in the ocean in the morning and snow ski that afternoon. All without need of the company plane.

I bet use of one of the good CI-4 diesel rated oils would improve your wear metal numbers. Plus you can lengthen your change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back