Land Rover Defender 300Tdi and Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
This is my first analysis on this engine.

Oil..........Mobil Delvac 1
km (total)...121 000km (45 000k on Delvac 1)
oil...........11 000km
oil filter.....1 000km (Donaldson)
oil added......1.5-2 litres
air cleaner....K & N (standard housing)

Analysis
- Metals (ppm)
Al.............7
Cu.............3
Cr.............1
Fe............19
Pb.............5
Sn.............1

-Contaminants (ppm)
Si.............6
Na...less than.1

-Physical Tests
TBN............13.7
Water.less than 0.1%
Vi @ 100*C.....15.2 cSt
Soot............0.6%
PQ index.less than 20 (total iron in sample irrespective of size)
Fuel............1%

So what does everyone think ?
How far will this oil go ?
What about the iron figure ?
Are silicon figures an accurate indicator of air cleaner efficiency ?

These tests were performed by Australian Laboratory Services, Brisbane, Australia.

thanks in advance,

Rick.

Hi Rick,
it is an excellent report - the only issue is the high TBN. Perhaps its simply an error it should be confirmed nevertheless

Silicon is a variable with the intake tract being but one "issue" towards a result. Your figure is low and acceptable
The iron level is also low and acceptable
Refer to the three Detroit Diesel threads here for a comparison

To set a meaningful OCI I would resample again after another 5kkms this will build up a picture of this engine's trends on Del 1

Why was the oil filter changed?

Regards

[ February 18, 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Rick,

Pretty good tbn if that is correct, not too bad of a report. Iron is not that high.

What size is this diesel, made by Landrover?

What type of power output?

Wish we had more diesel options here

Cheers

I forgot to mention that this is for CI-4 rated Delvac.

Doug,
thanks for the input. I was pretty chuffed with the TBN, then I realised it was higher than the refinery specs
confused.gif

I'll call the lab and ask them.
Now the filter change......umm........it's little, (It's actually the turbo filter for a Scannia) and I was getting paranoid........so I swapped it out.
grin.gif

Cut it open and nothing much of any consequence.

I can't fit a bigger filter on the stock filter head (it would crash into the diff on full suspension movement. Its happened to others using a Z9 ) I would have to fit a remote head somewhere........

retest in 5000km coming up !

V6 Diesel,
Land Rover have been building their own, small capacity diesels since the fifties.
They have never exceeded 2.5 litres.
This particular 4 cylinder turbocharged engine is the last of the mechanical injection engines (Nov. '98), the current Land Rover designed and built engine used in the Defender and Discovery is a turbocharged 5 cyl. SOHC common rail type of 2.5 litres.
They also use a BMW 3litre turbo diesel in the new Range Rover as a consequence of BMW's ownership prior to Ford. I'm not sure what the heritage is of the little diesel in the Freelander.

Ok, engine specs.

2.5litre 4 cylinder direct injection
turbo, air to air intercooler, engine oil cooler (Garrett T250 turbo, 15.5 psi max boost)
Bosch mechanical injection
Power...84kw (approx. 100hp)
Torque 265Nm (????lbs/ft)

It's a pretty easy engine to tweak, as long as you keep an eye on EGT.

This engine is still in production in Brazil (the tooling was sold to International Brazil), where it powers the Brazilian assembled Defender. They also build a stroked version of it there, called the 2.8 Powerstroke (not to be confused with Fords engines) with a variable inlet turbo, revised inlet ports, etc. that puts the 5cyl common rail engine to shame.

Rick.

tdi-rick,
weren't those 2.5s originally designed by the Ricardo Institite ?

There's some real brains in that outfit.

Shannow,

I really don't know.
dunno.gif

I do know that the common rail engine was sitting on the shelf before BMW came along in '94. They just didn't have the capital to put into production.

Rick.

Rick,
I'd read somewhere that the 2.5 Rover and the 2.5 Landcruiser turbodiesel were both part designed by the Ricardo Institute.

If you ever get the opportunity, read some of Sir Harry's works. 90 years ago, he had the 5 valve haed, invented the octane rating (well toluene rating, which became the octane rating), had a tank engine with BSFC of less than 0.45lb.hphr, running spark ignition, and a fuel scarcely better than kerosene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back