Delvac 1300 15W-40 '93 Dodge Cummins 4700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swore up and down I'd never become an oil nerd, but I took an oil sample at my last oil change. Bought the truck used in the spring and wanted some peace of mind on the engine's condition after 216k. Yeah, sure
rolleyes.gif

'93 Dodge D350/Cummins powered
216k on unit, 4,700 miles/7 months on oil, 2 qt makeup (due to a leak since fixed, no top up needed since the lift pump gasket was replaced).
Lab was Blackstone
TBN 7.7
Aluminum 4 ppm
Chromium 3
Iron 10
Copper 1
Lead 0
grin.gif

Tin 1
Molybdenum 34
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 41
Silicon 4
Sodium 1
Calcium 2725
Magnesium 415
Phosphorus 1137
Zinc 1343
Barium 0
Vis@210F 78.3
Flashpoint 435 F
Fuel 0.5%
Antifreeze 0%
Water 0%
Insolubles 0.4%

Thought I'd add another data point to the curve.
Discuss at will.

mrchecker,

This forum is for the used analysis, not the oil out of the bottle, that goes in the virgin oil analysis section. Just kidding, those are fantastic numbers as Patman has stated, and you could have gone longer, 7.5K would be a good mileage to run on your next analysis. And it may show that you can go to 10K. I would recommend the Fleetguard FF filter if you are not already using it.

Maybe I am being over zealous as the Delvac 1300S is the top dino oil to me, and your engines seems to love a diet of more of the same.

cheers.gif

Vetteman all of the major brand ci4 oils are the tops I have to say imo Delo and Pennz are better for what ever that is worth !!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
with a little auto rx to sweeten up the oil of course. The cummins are so designed that olive oil would probably give good wear numbers .

[ December 22, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Steve S,

You are correct, the Delo and the Pennzoil are super 15W40 dino oils. I have run the Delo 400 in my 95 with great results. Oil analysis in this forum. I guess that I am just a fan of the black gallon container that the Delvac comes in, very attractive.

cheers.gif

Steve,

I know, and a light banter on here is needed at times. But I just think the Delvac has the coolest looking gallon bottles.

lol.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go to yearly oil changes on this truck - should work out to 10k or so, and I'm sticking with the Delvac. It is "The Million Mile Oil", ya know.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mrchecker:
I swore up and down I'd never become an oil nerd, but I took an oil sample at my last oil change. -*-*

SOOT? ??? ? don't see it here... and it is an important factor in diesel applications...

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Originally posted by mrchecker:
I swore up and down I'd never become an oil nerd, but I took an oil sample at my last oil change. -*-*

SOOT? ??? ? don't see it here... and it is an important factor in diesel applications...

That's covered under insoubles, isn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
Steve,

I know, and a light banter on here is needed at times. But I just think the Delvac has the coolest looking gallon bottles.

lol.gif

Yeah, here a while back, told my girlfriend should she could pick between Delo, Delvac, and Long-Life for her car.

She immediately picked Delvac.

When asked why: "You said I could pick any one, and the Delvac bottle looked the prettiest".

No joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back