Diesel Oil Analysis on Ford PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are interested in analysis on Ford Diesel Power Strokes, you can view them here. Most every oil was used. Mostly Shell(SR) Delo, Delvac and Amsoil. I think it contains 23 pages of info. Takes a long time to read, but interesting. A very comprehensive study, with many contributors. Shows multiple miles and change intervals, plus some with bypass and some with out. This is the real world view of the Ford diesel in use. Some samples sent to 2 labs for comparison. I think on page 21 and on are graphs and averages for all the studies.
http://members.aol.com/fmtrvt/OilStudy/73current.pdf

http://members.aol.com/fmtrvt/OilStudy/73graphs.pdf

http://members.aol.com/fmtrvt/OilStudy/73comments.pdf

http://members.aol.com/fmtrvt/OilStudy/support.pdf

[ August 24, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

That's got to be the most intense compiled report on oil analysis I've ever seen. He's really taken some time to put this report together. Very Impressive!. Love the graphs as well.

Sprintman,
I don't think there is a clear winner. The thing I was suprised at is the use of synthetic oil did not effectively lower wear. So a quality dino changed at 5k seems to work. I am now using the Schaeffer's 15W40 in both of my PSD's.

I was an avid syn oil user even when at work seeing the cars ,vans, semis and forklifts wearing out with the engines still running o.k. using heavy duty fleet type oils. I,m back to using these oils . I'm leaning to the schaeffers blend, I don,t live where it gets below 10f very often in the mountains.

the Schaeffer's blend will give you longer drain intervals, slightly better fuel mileage, and slightly less wear.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
Sprintman,
I don't think there is a clear winner. The thing I was suprised at is the use of synthetic oil did not effectively lower wear. So a quality dino changed at 5k seems to work. I am now using the Schaeffer's 15W40 in both of my PSD's.

I couldn't see the report, I guess it was too old.

Buy I agree that Dino if changed properly with testing can work compared to a synthetic.

I think each has their own special value to the customer, and it all depends on application and what one prefers to use.

But bottom line: Without Testing it is
just GUESS-ing.
Cheers!

I updated the links. The first one is to the current analysis, the second one is the graphs of those analysis, the third is Lab analysis comments and the forth is the Legend and support info. Alot of information.

Right click on the link and then left click on " SAVE TARGET AS" it is an Adobe aacrobat file ...you have to downdload a free reader to veiw it ...unless you ment you're too old to be able to see it ????
smile.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Sprintman,

I couldn't see the report, I guess it was too old.

Buy I agree that Dino if changed properly with testing can work compared to a synthetic.

I think each has their own special value to the customer, and it all depends on application and what one prefers to use.

But bottom line: Without Testing it is
just GUESS-ing.
Cheers!

Would it be possible to get graphs on these oils based on oil types used, with miles on oil as a graphing factor verses wear metals (specific ones or maybe a combo of a few metals added together)?

That graph would give us some better oil brands comparison and let us see any wear trends of oils.

Thanks,

Tony

quote:

The thing I was suprised at is the use of synthetic oil did not effectively lower wear. So a quality dino changed at 5k seems to work.

Today's dino oils may protect better than oils of the past. But by your own admission you would have to change the oil every 5000 miles. Whereas using a synthetic you could change it every 10k, 15k, 20k miles or more. Saving you money, saving the world's resources, and lowering our dependency on foreign oil.
patriot.gif

quote:

Saving you money, saving the world's resources, and lowering our dependency on foreign oil.

That's funny. Our dependance on foreign oil will decrease when OPEC wants it to
banghead.gif
. Until then...

Doesn't it take more resources to create synthetic oil compared to dino?

The top hdeo oils are long life oils ,they could be run longer than 5,000 miles. The amount of motor oil used will not make a dent in lowering our dependence in foreign oil "clearly Amsoil hype" .In 5,000 miles, we will use that mileage on a powerstroke 7.3 4 gallons of oil are used ,how many gallons of feul are used? And !!! if most of the motor is recycled the oil can be used twice.

quote:

Originally posted by toyvwbenz:
[
Doesn't it take more resources to create synthetic oil compared to dino?

MolaKule recently posted it just takes about 1% more energy to pass the base oil on through to make PAO's .

I'd never spend money on synthetic for a Cowboy Cadillac that see's a variety of chores .

That nasty stuff needs dumped every so often , the oftener the better for me
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Absolutely amazing. Is it possible to say which oil was the best performer overall?

I spent a lot of time sifting through the data and concluded that there was NO significant differences between those HDEO oils. The higher wear on some trucks correlated with higher Si levels and not type of oil.

This should not be surprising though, these HDEO are very similar in weights, HTHS, and levels of ZDDP. Apparently, the type of base oil does not matter much in this NA application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back