AMSOIL 15W-40 in Mercedes 300SD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis by Oil Analyzers (Cleveland Tech or CTI)
1986 Mercedes 300SD, 191,000 on car, 11,000 on oil, first time used. Time interval approx 6 months.

Iron 67
Chromium 3
Lead 2
Copper 2
Tin 1
Aluminum 8
Nickel 7
Boron 35
Silicon 4
Sodium 5
Magnesium 47
Calcium 3562
Phosphorus 1125
Zinc 1160
Moly 2

Fuel Vis @ 100c 15.15
Soot/solids 1.6
TBN 10.3
Oxid 23.0
Nit 10
F-Soot 1.68

No corrective action required. Oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval.

Note--no engine flush used, so assume some washout figures in this.

Why so much iron when everything else is so low? Is this typical of this engine's wear pattern? Other than that one bad spot though, the rest of the report is excellent! Strong TBN still!

Diesel oils hold there TBN so long. I can see why many suggest running S3000 and D1 for long drains. Very nice TBN is this one too. If D1 turns out to be too heavy, S3000 is a great second choice. ****, you rack up the miles like myself. I'm Averaging 3.5-4K per month. Does anyone think D1 is just as good as S3000?

[ March 30, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I am surprized he went that mileage on the first charge.

I always suggest 3-5k when using a new oil in a well maintained engine, and then have the oil analyzed.

I dump any oil when the elemental iron level goes becomes >= 40 ppm.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Does anyone think D1 is just as good as S3000?

In one word, NO.

Delvac-1 5w-40 pour point = -49F / -45C
Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 pour point = -60F / -51C

Delvac-1 5w-40 flash point is 439F / 226C
Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 Flash Point = 446F / 230C

Delvac-1 5w-40 Noak = 13%
Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 Noak = 8.6%

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172: 40kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm

Delvac-1 5w-40 = 0.646
Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 = 0.396

Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 costs more than Delvac-1, but provides more protection than Delvac-1.

Amsoil HDD Series 3000 5w-30

The Four-Ball Wear Test is for comparing the friction coeffcient of various base oils, addtives, and fully formulated oils. It also measures wear on loaded steel balls and heated oil. These tests are timed for generally 1 hour or more and the wear scar is measured. This test is for measuring apples (lubricating fluids) to apples (lubricating fluids).

How these tests correlate with the real world is only borne out by UOA and fleet testing.

Holy cow Steve, that is one intense compilation of oil analysis reports!
shocked.gif
I'll be looking through that for days to try to decipher it. Do you know who's stuff that is, it it yours?

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:
Holy cow Steve, that is one intense compilation of oil analysis reports!
shocked.gif
I'll be looking through that for days to try to decipher it. Do you know who's stuff that is, it it yours?

Those are all Ford PSD (Power Stroke Diesels) submitted by various owners with various oils and filters. The gentleman that posted those analysis has to hand input all the info. Very labor intensive. Go to page 22 and on, for trends on those engines.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
wHICH OIL(S) PERFORM THE BEST IN THAT REPORT?

The problem is that with the number of different trucks, oils, filters and bypass filters, towing, not towing it is real hard to decipher which is the best. One thing I do is look at the trending of the wear metals and the TBN etc. at the different miles. Interesting to say the least. I think it is being updated, or another study is being added soon.

I found this about a good year ago before my wife bought her f250. I recommended the f250 since superduty vans are used where I used to work for 17 years and over all they seem to hold up pretty good. I have been using syn oils in my Toyotas in every thing that takes oil from new ,but over the years at work I have seen lots of equipment fall apart using fleet oils and the motors still run good. They have been maintained o.k.. I am not knocking syn oils , I just think they are not always necessary . I don't think anyone can go wrong using syn oils IMO. I went to the boat drags last weekend most all the boats including the blown alky and nitro were using petro oil 1 using redline, 1 synergen ,1 Amsoil. Although I couldn't tell the winners from the loosers because I spent most of the time visiting high school buds with a drag boat there ...The blown feul hydros are my favorites ,watched every run.

[ May 28, 2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back