TDI factory oil at 2000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being obsessive I could not help my self. Sampled my factory fill 5w-40 on my new VW TDI at 2000 miles.

No make-up. No additives. Using Power Services in the fuel. Note: OEM oil unknown. Vehicle built in Brazil.

Iron 35
Chromium Nickel Aluminum 26
lead 1.0
copper 26
tin silver titanium silicon 20
boron 4
sodium 6
potassium moly Phos 1075
Cal 3861
zinc 1151
barium 11
mag 16
antimony vanadium fuel % volume T/S % volume 0.3
water vis CS 100*C 10.0

lab notes: analysis indicates typical conditions for break-in. Drain oil and change filter.

lab: unknown contracted by John Deere Oilscan lab located in Stafford Texas.

Seems like the oil has sheared down a lot for 2000 miles.

Neil,

The factory fill is an SAE 0w-30, NOT a 5w-40 (note the viscosity of 10.0 Cst) ...most likely Castrol SLX. This is an ACEA B4 and VW 502/505 rated oil. Vw has been using a 0w-30 as the factory fill for about two years now.

TooSlick

I hope it's not Castrol SLX (the oil I'm about to start using in our vehicles) since if it is, it's thinned out from 12.1 to 10.0 and has no moly.
frown.gif

Patman

Guys on the tdiclub.com site show VW factory fill as a special break-in oil with a separate part number from the regular oil.

FowVay: I have not changed it yet. However this weekend the factory fill goes. It will give me a good chance to install my oil change valve. I have not decided if I'll run a 1500 mile run of Schaeffer's or someother oil. Any suggestions?

dabears95: I remember it from some thread on Fred's or maybe it was texastdi where someone cited a part number. Of course that does not make it true.

So, did you change the oil or just sample it?

I believe that this is the 3rd factory fill sample that we've seen that has been a Xw-30. I think there's a trend here,,,
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Patman

Guys on the tdiclub.com site show VW factory fill as a special break-in oil with a separate part number from the regular oil.

Can you prove this? (I visit that site frequently by the way) I have never seen any proof from any source including VW that the factory oil is anything special.

Jason
gr_eek2.gif

Neil, what do you intend to install this weekend?

I believe that the reference that you're making to the different factory fill is based on the VW factory fill spec of VW 521.73. The service fill for these engines is going to be VW 503 and 506 so apparently the factory fill is going to be the thinner oil, as evidenced by your and many other analysis reports.

FowVay The valve is a Fumoto (sp) valve. I bought it for my F-150 four years ago and ordered the wrong size. Turns out its perfect for the TDI.

edited to add

Almost forgot the manual I got with my TDI states that the factory fill was a quality 5w-40 oil. Unless they are careless while writing the manual or the TDI engine sheered the oil from a 40 to a 30 in 2000 miles.

[ March 21, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back