Amsoil 0w-30 in 1999 VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an analysis from VW's new turbocharged direct injection diesel, passenger car engine. This
vehicle used an oiled foam air filter and it also had a small, "Oilgard" by-pass filter. The addition
of the by-pass filter raised the sump capacity by 1/2 quart, from 4.7 qts to 5.2 qts. No oil was added
during this 10k run. Use is high speed (70-85 mph) highway driving for the most part - note the
number of total miles on this engine ....(The 0w-30 is not CH-4 rated, but does meet the VW 505 spec
for their diesel engines.)

miles on engine/111k
miles on oil/10k

Viscosity @ 100c/10.7 centistokes
oxidation < 1.0%
nitration/11.4%
TBN/12.8
Soot Fuel and water were fine

Fe/21
Cr/0
Pb/2
Cu/2
Sn/1
Al/9
Ni/2
Si/4

Additives

Boron/36
Mg/341
Ca/3144
P/1244
Zn/1541

TooSlick

I should add ...most owners of these vehicles run either Delvac 1, 5w-40 or the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30. The Series 2000 and Series 3000 are very similiar basestocks with different additive chemistries.

TooSlick

Fe is Iron right? Isn't this a tad high, or is this normal for this engine?

The silicon number looks awesome! So does the oxidation, nitration and TBN numbers!!

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I should add ...most owners of these vehicles run either Delvac 1, 5w-40 or the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30. The Series 2000 and Series 3000 are very similiar basestocks with different additive chemistries.

TooSlick

That looks great, I wish I would have gotten a sample of them TSO with 10K on it. Had to have the dealer change it as I was in the middle of a move and put Syntec
shocked.gif
in. Oh well, it looks like I will be running this stuff in my 03 TDI after I get it broken in. (Only have 800 miles so far)

Has the iron level been coinsistent at this amount? This iron level is normal for me on a few cars but others seem to feel way too high. What is your interpretation of the iron level on this sample??????

Why the 0W in lieu of the 5W which is the diesel oil? Was it simply a test?

That oil is really built up is it not? I mean plenty of additives when I say built up. What would this do in terms of deposits over time?

Almost enough Zinc and Phophourus to race with!

So is this the new blend I have read about?

Spector,

Yes, I was just running a test ... I have lots of data with the Series 3000, 5w-30 in the TDI. These results were basically identical (Ox/Nit/TBN) to what I've seen with the diesel synthetic, in terms of oil degradation.

Dragboat,

This is the standard additive chemistry for the 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30, SL/CF formulations. There are some differences in the basestocks, however.

Molecule,

With Delvac 1 or the Series 3000 (and no by-pass filter), this engine normally generates 20-40 ppm of iron every 10k. However, there is very little of anything else. Aluminum runs 8-12 ppm and there is almost no bearing wear. Copper/Lead/Tin are generally in the 1-3 ppm range @ 10k miles.

A very different wear pattern from the 2.0L, 4 cylinder VW gas engine....

Yep, every engine has its own wear.

Each of my engines have a different wear rate. What I am attempting to do is a statistical analysis of wear so I can get a best fit wear equation for say turbos, nonturbos, 4, 6, 8 cylinders, gas vs. diesel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back