Delvac 1 results in 2002 Jetta TDI(diesel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
Does the bypass filter hide any of the wear?

The correct answer to your question is a definite Yes, with a qualifier. The same happens with a Full Flow Filter, it removes the larger particles, and the bypass will remove those particles down to say 2 micron. A few smaller, but for the sake of discussion I use 2 micron. So theoretically we are seeing the PPM of particles 2 micron or smaller. These are the wear particles. So in general terms I would say the analysis of a bypass filtered oil is just as accurate for wear. Now if you were doing a particle count then the bypass filter would show only particles below 2 micron in that count. (If some larger particles settled out in the pan, then some would be larger in the count.) This is general, and I am not discussing type analysis ect.

one could also say that a bypass filter reduces wear, by removing the abrasive particles/wear metals that would normally still be floating around the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
I am not sure why a good FM is not in the forumulation. It seems a motor firing at about 17.1 compression un boosted could use all it could muster from a oil.

The CR of the TDI is 19.5:1, down from 23:1 in the older 1.6 diesels.

A chipped TDI produces boost upwards of 28psi IIRC.

Chris Thornton
Amsoil Dealer #1098500

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:
[qb]I am not sure why a good FM is not in the forumulation. It seems a motor firing at about 17.1 compression un boosted could use all it could muster from a oil.
The CR of the TDI is 19.5:1, down from 23:1 in the older 1.6 diesels.

A chipped TDI produces boost upwards of 28psi IIRC.

Well your info is fine and dandy but I do not think Mobil designed the Delvac 1 specifically for a VW, modified or not. Do you ?
smile.gif

[ December 19, 2002, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

My tdi puts out 20psi max(spike) and settles to a maximum boost of 16psi, Chipped. Stock is 12-13psi. Some more aggressive chips will reach boost spikes of 25psi and settle at 18 or 19psi....

I don't think the iron wear is all that bad for a diesel; it's only about 4.25 ppm/1k.

On my NIssan gas truck, I'm lucky to get 3.5 ppm/1k, so by comparison, I thinks it did very well.

quote:

Well your info is fine and dandy but I do not think Mobil designed the Delvac 1 specifically for a VW, modified or not. Do you ?
smile.gif

Mobil designed Delvac-1 for big trucks, not VW's. If they did, it would meet VW 505 specs like Amsoil does.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:

quote:

smile.gif

Mobil designed Delvac-1 for big trucks, not VW's. If they did, it would meet VW 505 specs like Amsoil does.
wink.gif

How do you know Amsoil actually meets the VW 505 specs?

Edit: I just took a look at the Amsoil web page and their HD/diesel oils. Nowhere does it say the oils meet the VW 505 spec. What it does say is the oils are "Recommended for Applications Requiring the Following Specifications:" and then gives a long list including VW 505. All Amsoil is saying is that if you require an oil that meets VW 505, they recommend their oil. That's NOT the same thing as saying the oil meets the VW 505 spec.

[ December 20, 2002, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

>>>I would use a different lab entirely if I hadn't of bought 10 kits a few years ago from OA. Now they sub out their lab work to CTC, which takes forever. They had my sample nearly two weeks before I got results... I agree, the service is poor, but I've already paid unfortunately. It was pretty good service when OA was doing them a while back...

Just got a batch of kits (before the price goes up end of year). The new kits are addressed directly to OAI testin in Cleveland, so turnaround time should be cut. Have also heard that reports will be available online (shortly?)

Well now I know what Chris' handle on this forum is!! LOL
wink.gif
Thought you could hide and start a amsoil/delvac debate!?
mad.gif
just kiddin, lol.

Regardless of comments posted above or what the oil is designed specifically for, its been beaten to below the graveyard on the TDI club, and Delvac 1 and Amsoil are the two best oils for tdis, price not an object. Period.
smile.gif

Chris, how does this compare to your results, your TDI is chipped?

quote:

Originally posted by Lightman:
Chris, how does this compare to your results, your TDI is chipped?

I haven't had my oil analyzed yet. So far I've got about 4000 miles on Amsoil 15w-40. I'll change the oil when it reaches 10k miles and have an analysis done.

And yes, I have the UPsolute chip.
grin.gif

Please post results when you do. Do you have a bypass filter on your tdi? I wonder what my wear metals etc would have been without it. I do drive my car really hard and use the chip's benefits per say..

quote:

Originally posted by Lightman:
My tdi puts out 20psi max(spike) and settles to a maximum boost of 16psi, Chipped. Stock is 12-13psi. Some more aggressive chips will reach boost spikes of 25psi and settle at 18 or 19psi....

offtopic.gif

Which chip are you running, just out of curiousity? There's an Upsolute dealer in my town who has a MkIV TDI Golf running their chip, bigger injectors, carbon fiber intake, big brakes, 17" wheels, etc. When he gets on it, it's a big puff of sooty smoke and he's GONE. Quick car.

I have the wetterauer chip. Since I have a 2002 TDI i have the sachs(weaker) clutch, and the boost spikes and higher torque of the up chip are known to slip clutches quickly. The wett makes similar horsepower with slightly less torque as UP chip ,and stresses the turbo out less. The downside is that you have to mail off your ecu and be without your car for a few days, unless you live near indiana. It wasn't a big deal for me, i just drove the other car, but not everyone has the option.

**** in Falls Church: From my years of experience of dealing with CTC, good luck. I live in Columbus, Ohio. CTC is in Cleveland, Ohio. My average turn time was about 2 weeks with next day UPS to CTC; that is if CTC did not completely lose the sample! That was a little over a year ago when I stopped using CTC as one of our labs. CTC is a 'low bid' laboratory; they do all the analysis for the majors and have managed to eliminate almost all the oil company in house labs. Now including Amsoil... I honestly was sorry to hear it ****. I am certain that CTC is doing the analysis for about half of the cost at Oil Analyzers. However, this is indeed a case of 'ya get what ya pay for"... As in inconsistent results, slow turn times, lost analysis, incorrect analysis results (someone else's!). These have all occured with analysis I have sent in. There is something special about having to call a customer and tell him that the oil analysis for his critical gearbox was 'lost' in the lab... One does not get a second chance to do this..... I still can't believe Amsoil did this given their 'quality' approach to everything. CTC's reputation is horrendous in the field........

George

offtopic.gif

I really need to find someone in my area so I can take a ride in a chipped TDI. My primary concern is longevity for my Golf but I can't help my curiosity
smile.gif

Jason

jason if you're thinking about it, DO IT. There is no comparison, I really almost can't stand driving my tdi with the stock chip when I have to(taking it in to the dealer for instance)....it's night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back