Amsoil 5W-30 HDD @ 15,000 miles, Cummins Engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my latest analysis of Amsoil 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil after 15,000 miles in my modified Cummins 24 valve engine. The engine has been dynoed at 380HP/850ft-lb torque at the wheels, so it is hardly stock. I use Fleetguard Stratapore full flow filters and an Amsoil bypass filter.

Glycol.....Neg
%Water.... %Fuel..... [email protected]
%Solids.....N/A
%Soot..... %Oxd.......16.7
%Nox.......10.0
TBN........12.7
Iron........26
Chromium.....0
Lead.........7
Copper......13
Tin..........1
Aluminum.....8
Nickel.......0
Manganese....2
Silicon......4
Boron.......34
Sodium.......0
Magnesium....5
Calcium...4289
Barium.......0
Phosphorus1241
Zinc......1341
Molybdenum...0
Titamium.....0
Vanadium.....0
Cadmium......0

Air filtration is an Amsoil oiled foam filter.

Wow, 15k and still has a TBN of 12.7! Great! Those oxidation and nitration numbers are excellent too! Wear numbers look great and that silicon level is extremely low so you have a great air filter!!

Thanks for the welcome. This is a great site.

I think part of the reason the TBN is holding up so well is the desert climate I live in. 15% humidity is the norm, but this spring and summer I have seen many days as low as 8%.

In a more humid/rainy climate the TBN would most likely have been lower. The bypass filter is said to remove water, so that may be a factor as well.

Riflesmith,

Lets have more background on this analysis.

how many total miles on motor.

what kind of driving conditions was truck used
for during this oil drain.

What if any kind of oil usage did you have?

Was filter changed during this time?

Any top off oil during this oil drain?

What type oil was in it previously?

Bob,
The truck had 65,000 total miles at the time of the sample. I changed the full flow filter and added a quart of makeup oil after the oil was in for 7,500 miles. I added another quart of makeup oil at around 12,000 miles due to usage. This was my second run of Amsoil 5W-30 HDD. I first started using this oil with 17,500 miles on the truck. The first run on the oil was 32,500 miles before changing. I have sample data from that oil as well if you are interested.

I change full flow filters every 7,500 miles and the bypass filter when oil is changed. Since modifying my engine, I have decided to change to Amsoil 15W-40 and go to a 20,000 mile change interval in the future, changing the full flow at 10,000.

Rifleman Why would you change because of horsepower mods.? Do you feel the 15w-40 is a "stronger" oil? I ask because I run the S3 HDD oil and I'm waiting for a UOA to come back. I also have some mild mods. Edge Juice, DPP turboback, air intake. I assume your mods are much more than that to include injectors, turbo mods etc.? Do you think the S3 HDD is adequate for these mods?

The UOA shows the oil is fine. In fact it's great. S3k is a great oil.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Wow, 15k and still has a TBN of 12.7! Great! Those oxidation and nitration numbers are excellent too! Wear numbers look great and that silicon level is extremely low so you have a great air filter!!

Who says an oiled air filter doesn't filter out dirt? And this guy lives in the DESERT!
shocked.gif

Rifle - when did you take the sample, before or after changing filters and adding makeup oil? It just seems a little unrealistic to have a 12.7 tbn on oil that's been used for 15k miles, humidity or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back