Ford PSD Schaeffers 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This belongs to a plumbing company down central Florida. This engine is stock, uses special filter system and no top off was added.

Ford 7.3L DSL
73,666 miles on engine
4,150 miles on the oil

code:

copper 2

iron 9

chrom 0

alum 2

lead 3

Mo 109

ph 1085

zinc 1105

mag 10

calc 2930

si 1

visc Cst 13.67

sae visc 40wt

sulfur 8

oxidation 0

nitration 2

soot 0

Schaeffers found all the numbers to be normal and advised to increase to 6200 miles on next drain.

[ September 02, 2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Here's another one. This IMO isn't as good but still not bad.

This truck is used by a contractor
7.3L dsl
miles on engine 45,000(still breaking in)
miles on oil 7,500

code:

copper 7

iron 50

chrom 1

alum 4

lead 16

Mo 115

ph 1405

zinc 1406

mag 13

calc 3858

si 11

visc Cst 13.14

sae visc 40wt

sulfur 8

oxidation 1

nitration 3

soot 5

As a contractor, it appears his si(dirt) is higher than I like and suspect it may have something to do with his wear metal increase. IMO, I'd have him change his air filter and look for system leaks.

According to schaeffers, they find all these numbers under the normal guide and advised to increase the next drain to 9500 miles.

Bob: On the second sample, why was there such an increase in ph, zinc, and calcium? I would have thought with more miles on the oil, these number would be less. Both set of numbers are good.

This is not the first time for schaeffers to be run in this engine. The longer it is used, the less it requires to maintain as it has a higher resistance to acid build up than a lot of other oils due to the antioxidant additives they use. Also, depending on the engine, you'll find that some create more acids than others, therefore once schaeffers has accomplished cleaning and purging older oil residue out, and depending on the demand the engine itself puts on the oil it doesn't take as much to maintain.

from what I know of this one, I think it is the 2nd or 3rd change with Schaeffers? not sure.

How is it possible for the oxidation and nitration numbers to be so low? I would expect it to show at least 10% in that amount of time, but to show zero on that one? Is that even possible?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Would it be possible to see numbers like that on a passenger car diesel engine that only holds 4 or 5 quarts, or is that nearly impossible to see? I guess I'm used to seeing most oxidation and nitration numbers on the analysis results here in the 10% to 50% range.

The power curve on a small diesel and a big one is different. This in itself would differ the outcome. The small engine isn't so much designed for towing and the sump capacity is also a factor.

You'll notice that most p/u trk diesels are a lot easier on oils than it's gas counter part. Particularly the dodge cummins.

One example of the power on a diesel engine, take a load hooked to a gas engine and one hooked to a diesel engine. Manual transmission,Low gear, you'll find that on the diesel engine, you just ease the clutch out, no fuel needed. The gas engine under the same conditions will require you to push the gas peddle to avoid lugging and or killing the engine.

Again, this is all in part the power and sump size in a trk engine vs the gas engine designs.

Yes it is possible. You have to remember, PSD's use 14 to 15 qts of oil, and dsls are not hard on oil in the sense of what a gas engine is as it has more power and doesn't require it to put a strain on the motor unlike a gas engine has to ramp up rpms to pull whereas the dsls can do the same pull at idle, thus less strain on the oil.

Would it be possible to see numbers like that on a passenger car diesel engine that only holds 4 or 5 quarts, or is that nearly impossible to see? I guess I'm used to seeing most oxidation and nitration numbers on the analysis results here in the 10% to 50% range.

[ September 02, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I'm wondering how schaeffers would recommend increasing the interval on the second set of numbers, seeing that the soot was already at 5%? I've read/heard that 6% was about the limit you wanted to go. Most people I know change out at 2 or 3%.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
This belongs to a plumbing company down central Florida. This engine is stock, uses special filter system and no top off was added.

Ford 7.3L DSL
73,666 miles on engine
4,150 miles on the oil

Hey Bob, why is this company wasting money on an oil analysis with only 4100 miles on the oil? Did they suspect a problem??

Isn't the normal drain interval for a PSD 5000 miles??

With a by-pass filter and your oil should't you be able to double the drain no problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back