EXHAUST PROBLEM / 3.1L V6 / CHEV LUMINA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you are right...I amy just do that...
I need run a few OCI's of my Castrol GTX because I had used Mobil 5000 earlier this summer and it is loaded with sodium, and Blackstone has made comments that it scews results and one can not be 100% certain you have a coolant leak or not.
Perhaps mid-winder I'll send one in to be safe.

I believe there was not much improvement in those older series gaskets. The new gaskets only apply to 3.1L or 3.4L V-6 Engines with VINs J, E --- RPOs LG8, LA1 They do not apply to 98 and earlier VIN M engines.

The OEM set I took out are one of the sorriest pieces of **** I've ever seen in my life. I believe the 3.8 (90 degree) gaskets are the same poor style, but I haven't seen them myself.

I put a Fel-Pro problem solver set in my '96. Very nice set, wrong EGR gasket in it, but AZ took care of that.

Jerry

Just got off the phone with my my shop...Well, it's not the manifold, it's the exhaust crossover which wraps around to both sides of the engine and connects to the manifold. It's stainless steel, but over time, they can develope a crack where the flex joint is located. That's what happened here.
When they take the old parts out of there, I'll have them inspect the lower intake gasket really good to make sure there are no visible leaks from it. I've got 130k on the engine now, and the intake seal was replaced at 50k when I purchased the car. Fingers still crossed
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back