Exterior car trim fell off - what adhesive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A piece of trim fell off my car and it looks like the OEM uses some type of hard epoxy (like superglue?) in 4 spots.

Will a bead of Ultra Copper RTV do the trick? Should I use JB Weld instead?

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
A piece of trim fell off my car and it looks like the OEM uses some type of hard epoxy (like superglue?) in 4 spots.

Will a bead of Ultra Copper RTV do the trick? Should I use JB Weld instead?

As trim started falling off my nearly 11 year old GMC about 10 years ago I glued each piece back on with GOOP. Not a single GOOPed piece has fallen off.
http://www.amazinggoop.com/
Available at most hardware stores and a lot of other places.

The trick is to use a non-hardening adhesive like GOOP. RTV might work, but it's not as strong.

Are you using the Automotive Goop?
If it has held your trim tight for 10 years, I'll give a try!!

quote:

Are you using the Automotive Goop?
If it has held your trim tight for 10 years, I'll give a try!!

I usually use which ever outdoorsy sounding variety I have on hand, Automotive, RV or Marine. I can't tell the difference.

I'm trying to find a product designed for this application. Anyone have any positive experiences with Permatex 5-minute plastic weld?

quote:

I'm trying to find a product designed for this application. Anyone have any positive experiences with Permatex 5-minute plastic weld?

I find that the fully hardening stuff tends to act brittle and fail before the more elastic adhesives like Goop and Yellow Snot. Yellow snot has the advantage of being a quick acting contact adhesive, while Goop need tape or something else to hold the trim in place for couple of hours.

quote:

Where can I get the 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive? Autozone? Wal-Mart?

My local small town NAPA has it. You are most likely to find it in an automotive stores that pros use, but it's worth looking in any car parts store.

What trim piece fell off? If it is a rubber body side molding or similar the best thing to use is double-sided tape. 3M available for about 5 bux per roll, which should be enough to do the piece. Use the rubber tape, not the foam tape.

Do you recall the part #?

I found 08002 at a local store in black packaging, and according to the 3M tech sheet, 08001 and 08002 are the "yellow" but every website shows 08001 with "black" on the label.
confused.gif

I want the yellow gorilla snot that will permanently bond ABS and PMMA plastic pieces together.

3M makes a product just for this application. I have in a pinch used RTV I used a product that was either called Tuff Stuff or Right Stuff. I had an emblem from a vechile that at the time was 17 years old. I took it off when I painted the vechile and simply forgot to put it back on. The RTV has held for years with no problem. I am friends with the guy that bought the vechile so I see it freq.!

my vote would go for 3M weather strip adhesive. Been using it for gasket adhesive for 30 years. Works pretty good for weatherstrip and trim too!

Bob

Good thing this thread came up. I've got some trim that's on it's last legs on my VW.

A lot of folks on the VW forums use 3M VERY HIGH BOND adhesive. However, it seems once that's stuck, it's stuck (if you put it on crooked, doh!)

I'll check out goop or yellow snot (3m weatherstrip adhesive).

I used the 3M Weatherstrip adhesive (08002, 2oz yellow snot) and so far, so good. It dries to become a hard but flexible substance. I tested a pair of coaster CD-Rs (PMMA plastic) and they are not removable after 24 hours of cure time. The only thing I'm concerned about is cold weather performance.

FWIW I can see why they call it snot... It comes out in a sticky liquid form, which if touched, starts to stick everywhere and feels like thick pus-snot.

If you need to remove it, use something like Goo Gone. If you use a solvent (brake cleaner), it will just reactivate the adhesive and make it slimy and sticky!

I've never thought to use the 3M adhesive as a gasket sealant though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back