2003 hyundai Santa Fe 2.7 transmission issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a similar issue, although with a much different trans (GM 4T65E). In my case, it was the fluid pressure control solenoid sticking. Replacing the solenoid cured the problem permanently.

I would recommend getting the car to the point where you can easily replicate the problem, then stop by the dealer to have their trans guy take a ride with you. You'll probably want to call ahead to arrange this. In my case, the dealer didn't want to make a solid diagnosis but based on a TSB, I went ahead and did the work myself. It took all day, but was worth it. The dealer wanted to just sell me a rebuilt trans.

I've got a 2003 2.7L Santa Fe with an automatic transmission. Sometimes, when I take off (after shifting from Park to Drive or from Reverse to Drive) it will take off but then jerk a few times. Basically, after it is in gear I will accelerate for 1-2 seconds and then it will jerk/slip. I had this problem before--it would do it almost every day. But I reset the TCM (by disconnecting the negative battery cable). This seemed to "fix" the problem for several months. It didn't do it at all. Now it appears to be back. I just reset the TCM again last night. I've had it to the dealer a few times and they can never reproduce/fix it which is frustrating. I'm tired of wasting my time and missing work just to take it in and have them say "we can't reproduce the problem."

I really need to know if anyone else out there has had a similar issue. And if so, what did you or the dealer do to fix it? Anything you can find (ie. paperwork from the dealer) would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks in advance!
David Taylor

3 years old? Any transmission maintenance performed?

Flush the ATF, reset TCM, and see if that helps!

Yeh, I drained/refilled at 30K miles. It has 60K now and its about time to do it again. I used the Hyundai branded correct fluid, so I'm good there.

I am going to take it to the dealer. The problem is, I've had it there twice before for this same issue and they are pretty clueless. It was just intermittent enough that they claimed they were unable to reproduce it. It seems to be getting worse/more frequent so I'm trying again. This dealer doesn't seem to work too hard to figure out problems, so I like to go in armed with as much information as possible. Otherwise, I'll get it back and nothing will have been done. Unfortunately, my town only has the one dealership.

I may also try giving it a tune-up. I've had a vehicle once before act like the tranny was slipping and it turned out a cylinder was mis-firing (fouled plug) and made it feel that way.

It is in the shop today. I talked to the tech last night when I took it in and he seems like a very sharp guy with good experience. Talking to him directly instead of him just getting info second hand from the service advisor should help. He recalled one other vehicle that had this problem. He did the same thing he did to my vehicle the last time it was in (flash some software to the TCM) and it did not fix it either. Hyundai authorized him to replace the TCM itself and it fixed the problem. He's going to try to get them to let him do the same thing with my vehicle.

Well, the tech called Hyundai and they are going to replace the TCM (Transmission Control Module) to see if that fixes it. I'll report back here once I know that it has/has not worked.

Wow. I was searching for something else and came across this thread that I started (and never finished) 8 years ago! My sincere apologies. I hate when people do that!

I actually still own this car. It is now 2014 and I have about 185K miles on it. The dealer did replace the TCM way back in 2006 and it worked. I have had zero transmission issues. I drain/replace the transmission fluid with OEM fluid every 30K miles and everything is still going strong.

The longest awaited follow up ever!! LOL. Kidding.

This is good to know regardless. I owned a 2008 Santa Fe 2.7L with the same F4A51 4spd. I really enjoyed that vehicle the time I owned it. You don't hear of too many issues with the F4A51 4spd or the F5A51 5spd. Too bad Hyundai and Kia had to keep adding gears as the years go on.

I'm glad to ready this follow-up. I've got a 2005 Optima. It's a four speed, I'm guessing the same transmission as you. Hopefully I'll get at least as many miles as you have so far
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back