4 wheel aligment-biggest scam going??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do if everything is fine but you have an alignment with your new tires and now your new tires are worn out in 10,000 miles, when the old ones lasted 60,000. My point is if it aint broke don't fix it. Like I think I already said, IMO most shops who do alignments do not do them correctly. I am not trying to ruffle feathers here, but lots of people that "do" alignments don't understand the science behind it, (including myself-but I know guys who do) and the spec. book is not right for every vehicle. A salesman with 600 lbs of books in his trunk NEEDS a different alignment than a commuter with an empty trunk, even with the exact same vehicle. A good alignment shop will ask questions about how you use the vehicle and will tailor the specs. for your specific vehicle and use. The other shops will just set it to specs. which would be wrong for many vehicles and their uses.

Bob,

I NEVER mentioned anything about 2 wheel alignment!
Im ONLY talking about 4 wheel alignment here....

Another example...
I had 88,501 miles on my 2000 Sentra when I sold
it and NEVER and any type aligment done! The two
sets of tires I had wore COMPLETELY even for their
whole life! At 20,000 I replaced the horrible
Bridgestone RE92's. with Bridgestone LST's and at
68,000 miles they were wearing wonderfully, with
5000 miles tire rotations done!

Another,

Please explain what type of shop will actually
ask the customer what kind od driving they do
before they do the alignment???
Come on...what shop "tailors" they alignment to
one's driving habits?? I want the address and phone
number of this shop! I cant even imagine that!!

Its not a scam. All it takes is one pot hole, curb, speed bump....to knock something out of alignment.

Technician competence and machine service/calibration determine whether an alignment comes out good, or not! Ask to make sure that the tech is ASE certified in that field and certified to use that specific machine. And, verify that the machine is serviced and calibrated!

There isn't much profit in an alignment. Profit comes from all the worn suspension parts that a good alignment tech will 'sell'. At 20,100 miles, you don't have any worn parts.

When installing new tires, I'll always recommend an alignment(and I'm ASE suspension/steering certified). At a tire only shop that I worked at years ago, you'd be surprised how many alignments were denied. Many vehicles needed suspension or steering repairs.

Profit also comes from the quickee alignment. Check the specs and if good, let 'er run with it.
Make sure that your mechanic doesn't have the 'set toe and go' attitude.
Being 'in spec' is different from being 'in the center of the spec'.

Also, learn your vehicle. Don't fall for the 'this can't be adjusted' laziness of the shop. Most cars have have aftermarket parts that can address the unadjustable's. But, you'll pay for those upgrades.

unDummy,

Come on. Id like to respectfully say your suggestion
is just silly and unrealistic.
Who the heck will go to a repair shop and ask..
"Excuse me, id like to verify that your alignment
equipment is serviced and calibrated."
I mean, come on...do you actually think they will
say..."Humm, no, we dont service and calibrate our
equpiment." OF COURSE they're going to say its
serviced and calibrated!!
I dont mean to mock you, but that suggestion is
just plain silly.

unDummy,

Come on. Id like to respectfully say your suggestion
is just silly and unrealistic.
Who the heck will go to a repair shop and ask..
"Excuse me, id like to verify that your alignment
equipment is serviced and calibrated."
I mean, come on...do you actually think they will
say..."Humm, no, we dont service and calibrate our
equpiment." OF COURSE they're going to say its
serviced and calibrated!!
I dont mean to mock you, but that suggestion is
just plain silly.

The shop I go to offers a "free alignment check" when you purchase a set of 4 tires. I would rather invest a few more dollars to know that my new set started out on an "even" playing field, so to speak.

Well, thats the difference between a consumer that cares and one that doesn't.

Don't ask the doctor what and why they prescribe for you.
Don't ask the pharmacist on any drug reactions.
Don't ask the mechanic if he is certified.
Don't ask the shop manager if the equipment is up to date.
Don't question the jippylube on their recommendations.
Don't question the new car salesman on why there are hundreds of dollars of dealer installed nothings.
Don't watch the service being performed.

And, above all, don't ever ask for a 2nd opinion
rolleyes.gif

Wake the (*&^ up and BE AWARE. Its your vehicle, its your life, DO SOMETHING! Or, just sit in the waiting room, like a dumb#$% reading magazines and drinking the free coffee provided by your shop!

IMO, NO MECHANIC will hide any information that you ask. If YOUR mechanic beats around the bush when you ask him something, FIRE HIM!
If he can't come up with PROOF, FIRE HIM!

Read this TSB, and then reread:
http://lyberty.com/car/Maxima_A32_docs/NTB04-054.pdf

Next time you go in for an alignment, ask to SEE the "proof". This includes certifications and training for the tech doing the work. This includes the paperwork that shows the machine is serviced, as required.

Or, just live as an uninformed consumer and take it up the
grin.gif

Ok than. let me ask you this...

When I walk into my repair shop and ask them
if their equipment is serviced and calibrated and
they respond "yes." What next?? Do you continue to
challenge them??
And with amm due respect Sir, im not talking about
my health here. Lets deal in common sense here...this is a $13,000 economy car, NOT a Mercedes
CLK!

No, start by politely but firmly asking for what you want to see. Ask to see the calibration paperwork. They either have it or they don't.

XS650...I understand what you are saying, I really do. But come on...who goes into a shop with a
Hyundai Elantra and demands to see calibration
paperwork, all certification of mechanics, etc.
Nobody does that!

Like..."Id like to have a 4 wheel aligment, but
before anyone touches my Elantra, I will need to see
all mechanics certifications, calibration paperwork
and proof that your equipment is serviced and
calibrated regularly."

Thats not the real world!

quote:

Originally posted by flinter:
XS650...I understand what you are saying, I really do. But come on...who goes into a shop with a
Hyundai Elantra and demands to see calibration
paperwork, all certification of mechanics, etc.
Nobody does that!

Like..."Id like to have a 4 wheel aligment, but
before anyone touches my Elantra, I will need to see
all mechanics certifications, calibration paperwork
and proof that your equipment is serviced and
calibrated regularly."

Thats not the real world!

If you don't care, that's cool. It dosn't change anything for me. If you ask nicely and the shop has the certifications, they will be proud to show them to you.

If you go in all pissy, like you just made it sound, you will get a different reaction.

I would love to talk to any fella who owes a
Hyundai Elantra, or any other cheap econo car,
who would actually do this, to please step
forward...JUST ONE...please!

Sure XS650, I totally understand and agree if I
owned a $60,000 Mercedes I may follow your advice,
but with a $13,000 Hyundai Elantra, common sense
should apply!

The 89-97 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, and 93-98 Lincoln Mark Viii has an IRS rear end, and the rear is deffinitely adjustable.

For most fwd cars, the rear is not adjustable at all.

quote:

Originally posted by JustinH:
The 89-97 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, and 93-98 Lincoln Mark Viii has an IRS rear end, and the rear is deffinitely adjustable.

For most fwd cars, the rear is not adjustable at all.

Quite a few are. Particularly as you go upscale, even an Accord is.

I have to agree with undummy and XS650. If they know what they are doing and their equipment is serviced and calibrated, they would love to show you proof. Heck, proof might already be hanging in a frame in the waiting room. Be informed.

Does it really matter what kind of car you have? If you expect the best, then demand the best, period. We are posting on a site which will blast you if you speak ill against this oil or that because it's not the "best". We should expect nothing less from a repair shop and their equipment. Oil has certifications, why shouldn't alignment machines?

Still..NO ONE has yet to come forward here who
owes a cheap $13,000 econo car that has actually
asked to see certification paperwork before they
will allow an aligment to be done!

Who are these people???

I don't think Flinter will be satisfied, but my car is now worth less than $13k, and I will ask for these certifications when I decide to get an alignment. It's neither a Hyundai or a Mercedes, as if that matters.
Who are these people? I suppose they're people who 'obsess' about their car and are sick of shops ripping them off, as the thread aluded to. In other words, they're BITOGers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back