Stant superstat thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried the stant superstat thermostat instead of their regular thermostat? What did you think of it? Was it worth the few extra bucks?

Thanks

While stant brand makes good quality thermostat (for domestics), there are imports that call on special thermostats: e.g. Mazda which has a dual stage thermostat (1 small one on top of the large one). If you replace this with a non-OE unit, your ECM isn't going to like it at all.

schwartr88 that is a good question.

I was just comparing a standard Stant 13849 with a Stant superstat 45849.
Looks like every part of the superstat is beefed up compared to the 13xxx series.
This Suprestat 45849 looks like it is made from polished stainless steel.

The way this superstat 45849 is made makes it look like it will flow slightly less coolant when fully open compared to the 13849.
I would think the superstat would be the thermostat of choice in cold climates.
I have never had a problem with any Stant thermostat like I have had with other brands.

I have a superstat in my Cherokee, been there for a couple of years, I suppose it's doing okay.
Next, I'd lie to try a "balanced" thermostat like Robert Shaw or Mr. Gasket.

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
While stant brand makes good quality thermostat (for domestics), there are imports that call on special thermostats: e.g. Mazda which has a dual stage thermostat (1 small one on top of the large one). If you replace this with a non-OE unit, your ECM isn't going to like it at all.

I bought a Stant to install as preventive maintenance, but haven't had thermostat issues with my original OEM, so I haven't put it in yet. Its for a 93 Mazda - did those years have the special Mazda unit?

Most aftermarket thermostats are junk.

The superstat is less junk and I get them whenever I can. They cost about the same as a gallon of antifreeze, which gets replaced as a matter of course as well.

I don't replace them as maintenance, but do watch for and recognize the symptoms of failure... and get on it prompto.

When you think of a wax pellet expanding against a spring, if you can scale up the process, you get better precision. This equals more consistent temp and better gas mileage, everything. When you think of the run-ability havoc one $8 part can cause, this is up there.

The STANT SuperStat is, IIRC, made from higher quality stainless steel as compared to their brass design. I don't know what else is different from the regular STANT. The Robertshaw is a very good thermostat. I've used both over the years with very good success.

RBTSHAW, good stat and lasts a long time. Only brand our shop in Tucson would install unless cust demanded different. Never had a comeback.
Smoky

IMHO most aftermarket parts come with so-called lifetime warranty anyways, no matter how "crappy" they are.

And they also set certain return and warranty claims policy in such a way that sometimes it's futile to go after a warranty claim if something happens to your aftermarket component (e.g. engine overheats because of a crappy non-OE aftermarket thermostat).

Why skimp on parts such as thermostat?

Q.

p.s. RobertShaw thermostat are good quality.

How does a nonOE thermo. differ from an OE one. Does ACdelco have a thermostat factor somewhere or do they have other companies make the parts for them?

NAPA SUPERSTAT BY STANT

1) Patented "Weir" Valve.
2) Thicker flange
3) Larger piston
4) Heavier spring
5) Large heat motor

I picked one of these up the other day. The above information is what's on the box. USA is stamped on the flange. This has got to be the most beautiful thermostat I have ever seen.
smile.gif

On Neons, it's a good idea to replace the OEM thermostat every 2 yrs or so- I've taken to replacing mine when I change antifreeze. When they go bad they tend to lock closed first, & oveheating often leads to a leaking head gasket.
shocked.gif
A better thermostat that could be trusted to last longer sounds very good.

Does anyone know if these beautiful
grin.gif
thermostats are made to fit a 97 Dodge Neon 2.0 L DOHC(engine code Y)? I searched last night for "Robert Shaw Thermostats" & found nothing but V-8 & V-6 applications, mostly at speed shops like Summit, Martel, etc.

TIA, all suggestions & help appreciated.

I've also not had good success with aftermarket thermostats. Like so many other aftermarket parts, they aren't made to the OEM specs. They're just one of the company's standard parts, adjusted to fit the application.

With so many of these parts, the labor spent to replace them is far more costly (money/time/inconvenience) than the part ever would be. Look at something like a water pump. On many cars, you have to tear half the engine apart to get to it. Who cares if they warranty the thing for life? When it breaks in 6 months because it's a core that's been rebuilt a dozen times, the last thing I'm going to care about is the $40 the thing cost. They can't give me back the weekend it will take to replace the thing again.

The thermostat for my sonoma is a recommeded 195 degree. The alternate temp is 180. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of using the 180?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back