Recipe for Tire Lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot find tire lubricant in small quantities for a DIY mechanic. Tire lubricant is a vegetable based soap used to mount tires on the rim. Does anybody know a home brew formula I can use safely?

An old tire shop owner I knew long ago used a few squirts of the shop's liquid hand soap stirred up in a couple gallons of water, or when that ran out he'd steal his wife's liquid dishwashing soap. When I asked him about it, his answer was: "This part's easy, don't try to make it hard."
grin.gif

Dishwashing soap and water is a time honored substitue, and works very well.
One big problem however is moisture that remains in the tire. Water is the main reason for tire pressure fluctuations. That is why nitrogen is used for premium tire fills. Dry air is just as good, and much cheaper.
Water will also contribute to corrosion. It can't evaporate away - it has no place to go.

Okay,I did my own private home test on my motorcycle tires. Palmolive + water was REALLY difficult to get the bead over the rim. Napa supplied tire lube was pretty easy to get the bead over the rim. Dishwater soap may work, but not nearly as well as the Napa supplied stuff.

Motorcycle tires are relatively easy to get on and off.
You can balance a motorcycle front tire by raising the wheel off of the ground, and retracting the brake pads. Then add weights to static balance it. Because the tires are so thin compared to a car's, they don't need the side to side dynamic balancing.

I mounted a pair of slicks for my car a few weeks ago and used some off brand version of tire "Slime". I had it onhand because the slicks are tube type but EVERYONE said don't bother with tubes. I was using a little bit of the sealer to sealup the sidewalls(wiped on with a rag on the inside not fill the tire) because air would slowly leak right through them. Worked wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back