Loud Flashers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Tridon LF12 loud flasher but, upon testing it, found it to be no louder than their common HD12 flasher. I tested it on the bench with a 50W load. Has anyone found the LF12 to be loud? I was walking by a courier step van last week and his flasher was really loud, you could hear it from thirty feet away. I am thinking of just soldering a piezo-electric buzzer to the terminals of the HD12.

Can't say about the flashers in particular, but, when I've wanted something similar I just go to NAPA or a big truck supply house. I imagine that TRIDON would be the supplier.

I used to carry mirrors, headlamps, wipers and HD turn signal flasher (loud) from tractor to tractor as a company driver. No flasher unit ever overcame any amount of wind noise.

Your solution sounds good to me.

My 95 GMC Somona has the flasher buried in the dash where it's hard to hear a loud flasher. I remote mounted the flasher using some wire and standard spade connectors.

I glued the flasher to the hidden side of a piece of removable plastic on the dash (a blanking plate for some option I didn't have). The plastic acts like a sounding board and it's easy to hear now.

I can also change the flasher by popping a small blanking plate out instead of dissasembling the whole danm dash.

The piezzo buzzer idea sounds good too.

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
WHY??? Can't you see the flashing light?

The light is dim and hard to see in bright daylight and I have better things to watch in traffic than the turn signal idiot light.

I like the solution of soldering on a buzzer.

I'm no electrical expert, but unless you use an electronic flasher as opposed to a "load" type flasher, the blink rate might be too fast because of the increased load the buzzer places on the flasher.

I heard of an old trick that someone took a tin can and cut it down to a quarter of its size and screwed it to the top of the flasher. It acted like a megaphone.

A lower viscosity blinker fluid is called...

seriously... many times just repositioning the flasher slightly (while working) changes the sound a world.

The tin can trick goes clear back to railroad telegraphers who used a Prince Albert can to amplify the sound of the actuator-it's the origin of the phrase "tin ear."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back