Engine hitting 100K. Should i be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8 and 4r70w automatic transmission. I am coming up on 100,000 miles. Origional motor and transmission. I change the tranny fluid every 20,000 miles and have an external transmission cooler. I have had my oil analysis done by Dyson and everything was good (interval was 1,500 miles). I changed my air filter to a AEM Dryflow to cut down on some insolubles that showed up in it. I am currently in the process of an auto-rx treatment. The car runs strong but it idles a little rough, which went away strangely when i put in auto-rx. Looking through the oil cap the engine looks really clean. I used 5w30 QS Advanced with a motorcraft filter (im going to use a mobil 1 oil filter again). Right now im using amsoil 5w30 with the auto-rx and going to use halvoline for the rinse cycle. What should i worry about at the mileage considering all maintence is perfect.

if your maintenance is up to date, you don't need to worry about it at all. these aren't flat-head fords, pretty much any modern engine is just getting broke in at 100k.

The modular 4.6 v8 will last longer than the car with bargin bin oil and filter changes at a reasonable interval.

The modular v8's are the most durable engines ford has ever made.

Driving a Chev V6 Vortec with 207K and more or less regular 3,500Mile changes with PZ 10-30. Never raise the hood between changes.

Bet your Ford will get close to 200k,, in spite of flushes, treatments, snake oil, and whatchama callit air filter!
lol.gif

Bob

might want to clean out the t/b, upper intake, IAC and egr tube with that rough idle. did all of those with my 98 GT when it was around 105k miles and the idle got a lot better. however im in the process of building a new motor for mine right now. not because of anything wrong with the current motor, but i have plans for the car.

Yeah i did clean all of those components and it still feels rought. The needle on the instrument cluster is steady its just when you hook it up to a tool you see a range of 50 rpms, drop and raise.

quote:

Originally posted by sanitarium16:
What should i worry about at the mileage considering all maintence is perfect.

Taxes, the war in Iraq, the price of crude oil, the world market, the next election and global warming just to name a few things. I sure wouldn't worry about the car.
grin.gif

Aside from what bdcardinal said, might want to start looking at replacing the plugs. The main problem is going to be the 4R70W trans. They have a lot of slip between gear changes and the clutch packs have given up the ghost relatively early on a lot of them. A shift kit will prolong that problem. I put one in my F150 and wow, what a difference. Might also want to dump and drain on the antifreeze.

Forgot to mention that i just changed the plugs and have a trans-go shift kit. I do feel like the transmission is slipping between gear changes SOMETIMES.....the fluid and filter are recently changed hmmmmm

You got the transgo kit too? I lucked out. For my year, all I had to do was get the shift plates and springs, not the whole valve body. I had it put in as firm. Not really crazy about the 1/2 shift. If you get on it, you can really really FEEL it getting slammed into 2nd. Makes me a little nervous but it will bark the tires once you wind up the rpm's. The other shifts are a lot better. Did you have the COP, sparkplugs located deep in the engine kind of plugs? Man, those are a PITA to replace. I dread the day I have to do it. I've heard horror stories that even dealerships aren't doing it right and having plugs blow out after a couple of miles.

I don't have the Coil on plugs. I have changed them on my friends 2003 GT and it wasn't hard at all. You have to be very delicate though cause they fall apart easy, i am not a fan of them either. My mechanic just replaced the valves and springs as well and he said the transmission was in good shape....dont know if he could tell with the valve body removed?

does your tranny exhibit whining? When i am in park it sounds like i have a supercharger but it is coming from the transmission ever since i had the shift kit installed.

Just do really good PM and dont worry. If things happen, they happen, its not like you dont expect it when over 100k. Just save a few bucks for just in case, and dont worry.

Chances are you wont be left stranded one way or another. It sure seems you have enough grasp of car issues t get through anyting.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back