Screen mesh in front of radiator...

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone see an issue with this??

By meaning of my handle, you get the idea that we explore the great outdoors a lot. Well, after so many thousands of miles, I finally come up with the idea, instead of always having to hose out the front/back of the radiator for the thousands of bugs, rocks, etc that get caught in the fins, to install a screen mesh type material from the top of the radiator all the way down.

What I did was install the screen mesh in front of the grill on the upper part of the radiator, so that it's not sucked up against the radiator itself; but below the front bumper, it is pretty close against the bottom of the radiator and the electric fan, but pulled fairly tight so that it doesn't bunch up in a bundle and block off air.

Took it for a 30 mile drive in 91F heat, didn't see any problems thus far.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Fold that screen over 4-5 times and it will block light from coming through.
So there is a restriction to the flow of air, but your system seems to be oversized enough to accomodate the impediment.

Ramblin FEVER,
I've done this for years. Good job, it won't hurt a thing and will probably save your radiator. I've used both, the hardware cloth on some and plain old screen door type on others...depending on the application. Next time you drive on a scarified highway and the boobs do a lousy job of sweeping it, just think of the hundreds of pebbles that WON'T BE PUNCTURING your radiator! Also, some areas are loaded with bugs and you'll get relief here too.

An excellent "screen" to use is old-fashioned pet-proof window screen -- it's far heavier-duty than regular window screening, and will last much longer. You can get it at Home Depot.

BTDT for years now. Just grab some zip ties to fasten everything down.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
How about 1/8-inch hardware cloth?

Plan on doing that myself. My neighbor had some left over from when he did his and he gave it to me.

He just spent $700 on a new airconditioning condenser because a large rock punched a hole in it on the freeway. It's like Honda designed the front air dam to scoop up debris and funnel it into the radiator/powersteering cooler/condenser.

They can design cup holders on the Odyssey that will break away rather then break when stepped on, but they can't spend $.10 to put metal fabric in front of the $1000+ cooling devices.

Would the hardware cloth allow it to breath any better? Yes, this is just your typical window screen material, and I only used a single layer.

Yes, that rock through the radiator idea has always been a fear of mine, which is why I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner
pat.gif

Thanks!

Ramblin, there is nothing wrong with trying screen.
It will restict airflow somewhat but might never be a problem.

Install it so if you do get into overheating you can easily rip it out beside the road.

Screen will do a better job of catching the small crap that gets stuck between the radiator fins.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Ramblin, there is nothing wrong with trying screen.
It will restict airflow somewhat but might never be a problem.

Install it so if you do get into overheating you can easily rip it out beside the road.

Screen will do a better job of catching the small crap that gets stuck between the radiator fins.

I agree with all points. The hardware cloth is a little heavier with larger holes then what you seem to have. If you have already done it, I wouldn't sweat it - especially if your cooling system appears unaffected.

Here is what we are talking about (the stuff I have has a little cooler design, it's more diamond shaped)

cj7 radiator

*edit for lack of proof-reading skills)

quote:

Originally posted by Laminar Lou:
I agree with all points. The hardware cloth is a little heavier with larger holes then what you seem to have.

I appreciate that coming from someone with the name Laminar
cheers.gif

I have bug screens on all my vans that do mostly hiway driving. Use the hardware cloth because the fiberglass or aluminum bug screen will just get shredded. Been there, done that.

My vans have a nice rectangular opening infront of the condenser so I made 2 frames out of 3/4"x3/16" flat iron that fit nicely around the opening and then sandwiched the hardware cloth between the frames, fastening them together with pop rivets. This keeps the cloth taught and prevents it from shifting around. Then the whole thing gets secured in place on the van with a couple self-apping screws. Easy to clean and easy to remove if the need ever came up.

Some pics: as you can see, we have a real need for something like this around here. All those splattered bugs are from 1 day of driving! The added protection from rocks and road debris is very important as well.

-

-

-

I use 1/4-inch hardware cloth to protect the condenser from rock damage with my cars that have an open-grille design. In SE Michigan, just about all windshields have rock damage. Imagine what's happening closer to ground level. A good rock can take out a condenser resulting in hundreds of dollars in repair.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:

Some pics: as you can see, we have a real need for something like this around here. All those splattered bugs are from 1 day of driving!

spaz.gif
I didn't know that Canada had tropical rain forests! Looks like you went off-roading in Vietnam ...after monsoon season.

Most of those are mosquitos which seem to thrive up here. They breed in standing water which we have plenty of. Driving in the evening, just after sunset is the worst time. There are literally clouds of them and they hit your windshield like rain.

Anyone wants it, I've got a screen to keep bugs off the widshield that I inherited from the old guy who owned my house.

Mounts onto the bonnet, and you get to look through mesh/bugs rather than just bugs.

I put a piece of 1/8" hardware cloth in front of the radiator of my 1964 GTO the week I got it and it remained there until I sold it in 1973.
The radiator was "bug" and "dent" free and looked like it was new. I secured the thing with wire so it wouldn't move

Ramblin Fever,
I would like to add that under perfect conditions ( air temp just about 30 and snowing ) these screens can completely block radiator so if you drive in areas where this happens, if the cabin gets hot - check for blockage!

I have been using the fiberglass screen door screen in front of the radiator of my 02 mustang since I bought it new. never had a problem but thenagain I dont drive the car in the winter so I dont know if the snow would accumilate on the screen blocking air flow..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back