Exhaust Clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea how tight exhaust clamps should be? They don't really seem to tighten up, and I don't want to over-do it. It's on a 1-3/4" diameter pipe and the clamps have 3/8" NC threads. I've got somewhere around 15-20 ft-lb on the u-bolts right now, and I used anti-seize on the threads. I used that muffler cement so I'm hoping it's a good seal as-is, but suggestions are appreciated!

You want to stop just before you twist the studs off.....

Start it up and see if it leaks, if it doesn't it's tight enough.

Shouldn't take much torque at all if the pipes fit together well. I never use muffler cement for sealing tubes together either....good luck if you ever have to take it apart in the future. Tighten it up too much and you'll distort the joint and an assured leak. I'd have put high temp anti-seize around where the pipes fit together along with the hardware. Especially if it's stainless steel as that has a bad tendancy to gall.

I'm with labman, you want to cinch the outer pipe into the inner pipe "just a little bit".

Thanks for the replies.

It's just a little distorted and I've got no leaks, so it should be good.

F150; I thought these connections were pretty much permanent, and would have to be cut off to be removed? The anti-seize sounds like a good idea though anyway. It's not stainless, and I actually thought about putting anti-seize on before remembering that my buddy mentioned a few years ago that he's had success with the muffler cement, and has had it leak when doing it dry, so I just tried the muffler cement for that reason. In my only other experience with these clamps I did it dry and had no problem, but couldn't remember how much I had tightened it.

The guillotine style clamps should be just as said, tighten until a slight distortion of the pipe is seen. Now, I really like this kind of clamp. Seals well, no leaks, and doesn't distort the pipe. With little work, pipes can be taken back apart.

-

I like those band clamps too. Just not very easy to find around here and the exhaust shops charge a good bit for them. Slip together exhaust joints shouldn't be permanent unless you crushed the pipe or they've rusted solid. Use the same type of connections on my truck for the catback so I can pull it off if I go to the track. I use the copper based anti-sieze as it seems to resist heat a little better that the other type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back