Fuel Pump failure trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if this will work. We have a geo prizm with a failed fuel pump. Unfortunately the pump is above the gas tank, but only accessible by dropping the gas tank!

Would it be possible to Jerry Rig an electric fuel pump in the front engine bay before the fuel pressure regulator?

Assuming that the failed fuel pump in the tank is defaulted to be open, sounds like this should work. The car might run like crap, but at least I can get it going for a like 25miles or so.

Any ideas?

probably, I jury rigged a Jag fuel pump and return into a 2 gallon gas can to get a parts car running. Worked fine. Only thing is use a temp pump with the same or greater GPH rate as stock pump.

Why don,t you take the hood off and have a buddy sit in the engine bay with a gas can and a tiny funnel and when the car starts to studder he can pour a little more fuel right in the fuel line with the funnel
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by keval85:
Why don,t you take the hood off and have a buddy sit in the engine bay with a gas can and a tiny funnel and when the car starts to studder he can pour a little more fuel right in the fuel line with the funnel
grin.gif

lol.gif

It (temporary pump in engine bay) may work, but most electric pumps are far more efficient at pushing fuel, not pulling it. Also, you'd have to get the fuel to the new pump to prime it.

"the pump is above the gas tank, but only accessible by dropping the gas tank"

"the failed fuel pump in the tank"

So where is the fuel pump? In the gas tank, or above it? In either case, if the gas tank isn't too hard to remove I'd remove the gas tank and replace the pump myself.

If you just want to get it to a mechanic shop (like for example if you're buying a $75 car and trying to get it home) try beating on the bottom of the tank with a flashlight or 2x4. It worked for me on a dakota once. A marginal contact in the electrical motor part got jarred back to work.

its typical for modern fuel injected vehicles to have the fuel pump in the gas tank.

some people have cut access holes above the fuel tank to make this operation easier. depending on your vehicle this might be easier but you need to know what you are doing. cutting through a fuel line would be "bad". however, future changes of the pump would be pretty easy.

quote:

grin.gif

No, no, no. You got it all wrong. You gotta fill the windshield washer reservoir with fuel, rig the end of the hose to the top of the carb or into the fuel rail, and squirt fuel in via the wash button. When she starts to sputter, wash the windshield again.

grin.gif
shocked.gif
cheers.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by speedy341:

quote:

grin.gif

No, no, no. You got it all wrong. You gotta fill the windshield washer reservoir with fuel, rig the end of the hose to the top of the carb or into the fuel rail, and squirt fuel in via the wash button. When she starts to sputter, wash the windshield again. SPEEDY you are a genius, I never thought of that,still I think it would be funny watching your bud hanging on to a wod of sparkplug wires while your doing a buck 20 down the highway
lol.gif
grin.gif
gr_eek2.gif

grin.gif
shocked.gif
cheers.gif
lol.gif

jmacmaster: The fuelpump is actually inside the gas tank and there's not access point above it like other cars in the trunk or rear seat.

I'm sure holding a 2 gallong tank in the passenger seat with a pump and line would work, probably not the safest condition =)

Dropping the gas tank itself isnt hard, just with all the gas in there, it will be a pain to siphon it all out. Currently the car is on the side of the highway, so any work done there will be nerve racking.

I guess the most logical choice is to tow it, I was just hoping that there could be a quick solution.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back