replace spark plugs for a 2003 mazda protege

Status
Not open for further replies.
My protege is approching 30,000 miles. I would like to replace the spark plugs on it. I haven’t replaced spark plugs on protege before so I am wondering if anyone could explain, step by step, the entire process on this. What tools do I
need? Thanks.

Usually you can use either a socket and a rachet, or buy a $3 spark plug wrench to remove and tighten spark plug.

Most 4 banger model you just pull the plug wires out, then loosen old spark plug and put in new ones. The V6 you most likely have to remove the intake manifolds to get access to the spark plugs (thus more time consuming and expensive).

I have the same engine in my protege5. it has 2 visiable sparkplug boots and wires, the other 2 boots and wires are under the 2 coils and are connected to the coils.
you may want to label where everything came from so that it doesn't get mixed up.
you need to disconnect the small wire connectors on each of the two coils on top of the engine.
then remove the 2 small bolts on each of the coils that hold them to the top of the engine.
now you can pull the 2 spark plug boots up and out of the engine.
then pull the coils up, the other 2 spark plug boots are connected to the coils and will come up with them.
using a 5/8" sparkplug socket you can loosen the sparkplugs and remove them. if the spark plugs fall out of the socket then push a piece of 1/4" tubing over the end of the plug and pull it out of the hole.
reassemble in reverse order.
run the plugs down until they are finger tight then give them a 1/4 turn more.
when tightening the 2 small bolts that hold on the coils don't tighten them much, just snug is fine. they are very easy to strip out .

taking your time it is a 45 minute job. I can easily do it in under 15.

I wouldn't replace them unless you see
damage which is usually arcing white marks or fairy dust spots.

The wires do degrade with heat and age so I'd be looking at them hard at 60K and tossing them at 90-100K. Plugs are probably ok but its good to take them out every 30K for a look.

what types of plugs are these? plat or copper plugs. look at the electrode and see if its worn serverly. on my 4.7 v-8 my electrodes was almost 45 degree angles.

if plat they can go over 50,000 but copper around 30,000. also your plugs can tell you how your engine is running.

wires I would replace at 50,000 miles. sometimes you cant tell when wires rubber insulation has cracks in them.

I've a P5 plus a 2001 Miata, nearly the same engine. Plugs are copper and cheap, get the pre-gapped NGK's (-11) from the dealer for $2.25/each or so.

I know its my imagination, but it seems to me these little Mazda's love fresh plugs. With that huge old fashioned valve cover (beautiful to look at in comparison to the new plastic cover can't see the engine modern thing), they are very easy to get at from above. I change my plugs every 15k miles on the Miata. But I'm sure 30k is fine per OM.

I recommend getting from Sears the locking 3/8" extension (you lock the ball detent with a small slider) and a quality Sears plug socket so you have no problem either with the plug coming out of the socket or the socket coming off the extension.

Start the plug by hand with just the socket/extension. For first timers I highly recommend using a quality torque wrench set at 15 ft-lbs. The biggest problem is to under torque.

quote:

Originally posted by mchang204:
Tom, how often do you replace spark plug wires
on your protege5?

30-35k miles on plugs.
they are standard copper core plugs. I use only NGK or Nippon Denso.

the acdelco link above doesn't really help with changing plugs on a 2.0l mazda. it only has 2 plug wires, no distributor, 2 coils mounted on the valve cover, and the plugs are down deep in the valve cover.

Even though I am a die hard BOSCH fan,my 1993 Mazda Protege' LX ran the best on NGK, I would advise NGK Platinum or Irridium,the Protege' was one of the sweetest cars I owned for the money I paid,lasted me 140000 miles till I sold it and never gave me trouble from day one.

NGK are best and the Vpower copper better than std copper. You do need to change them at 20-30K compared to Plat 50K.

I'm trying NGK Irridium next time more for the power than the longlife. That and I can afford the try them from ebay on a four mazda. I'll probably use them also on my harder to install GM v6 next change. Ebays a good source for NGK wires too.

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:
NGK are best and the Vpower copper better than std copper. You do need to change them at 20-30K compared to Plat 50K.

I'm trying NGK Irridium next time more for the power than the longlife. That and I can afford the try them from ebay on a four mazda. I'll probably use them also on my harder to install GM v6 next change. Ebays a good source for NGK wires too.

have read peoplewho dynoed IRRIDIUM plugs the DENSO ones suppose to be the best of the best. showed no increase in HP. they say if running a supercharger or a heavly modded engine then use the IRRIDIUM. if not your just throwing your money away. not saying they are no good. just that it just the same as OEM plugs in your engine.

let me guess you have a 3.1 V-6 huh. I ran in the the same prob on my wifes malibu. cant reach the back 3 plugs. just going to suck it up and have the dealership change them.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back