96 Corolla 1.6L Timing Belt Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think that Toyota's are interference motors. My freind had a 96 Celica and the belt broke and nothing major happened.

Toyota recommends 5 years or 60,000 miles in the owners manual for my 94 Corolla 1.8L. I'd imagine it's the same for a 96 with the 1.6L.

The 4AFE (1.6L) and 7AFE(1.8L) Corolla engines are definetally non-interferance. Any "A" Toyota designated engine, even the 4AGE screamer 20V 1.6 is non interferance.

You could pop one of the timing covers and check the belt/tension. Very easy to do on a Corolla.

So my friend has 60k miles on her 96 Corolla. Just took it in for the 60k maintenance and the dealer did not mention anything about the timing belt. The Toyota web site maintenance guide says to change the timing belt at 60k/48mos if you do "Extensive Idling or Low-Speed Driving for Long Distances "

Other than that there is no specified interval for the timing belt change. 10 years seems like a long time for a timing belt.

Is that 1.6L engine an interference engine?

At whatever point they switched the Corolla from a belt to a chain, I think, they switched from non-interference to interference. Maybe '98 or 99, but I'm not sure. That is only a vague memory from reading over the Haynes repair manual, though, so I could be wrong.

It's just a question of where you want to be when it fails.

When I was in university we were driving across country to get to school by Sept 1st. Our corolla timing belt failed just outside Great Falls, MT.

It was like someone reached over and turned the ignition off.

It was a sunday.....and it was starting to rain....but that's another story.

You're going to have to do it...just depends how much inconvenience you're willing to put up with when it fails just to save a few bucks in the short term.

Upon inspection mine looks brand new, yet I know the previous owner didn't replace it but I have no clue when it was last replaced. It seems to be good enough to take a look at it once a year and judge it's condition. I don't follow the severe service of low speed or extensive idling so maybe I'll just have the same belt for quite a long time.

Hi all...sorry to bring this old thread back up top, but I just needed a clarification. I'm about to purchase a '95 Prizm 1.6 for my step daughter. I read where they have timing belts that need to be changed every 60k. However, I'm cornfused with this interference/non-interference stuff. Two questions:
1. Which is worse, interference or non-interference?
2. Which one is the 1.6 Prizm/Corolla?

Thanks! I've already called for a quote for a replacement and was told $450-$500. Zoinks!
shocked.gif

Pat-

RE: (1) worse in terms of what? timing belt failure?

It is detrimental if the engine is interference type (valve(s) will crash onto your piston crown(s) causing major damage)

It is not detrimental if your engine is non-interference type.

Non-interference engine, like your Corolla: timing belt breaks, engine stops running instantly, replace timing belt, drive on.

Interference engine, like my Neon: timing belt breaks, engine stops running instantly, drain coolant, remove head, replace valves(at least a couple, maybe all
shocked.gif
), inspect pistons, replace damaged piston(s) if needed(rare in Neons, but it has happened), buy new head gasket set, replace head, refill with coolant, to be safe change oil & filter, *then* replace timing belt, drive on.
frown.gif

I'll let you decide which is better in the real world.
wink.gif

Love those non interference engines. Roommates Celica 1.6 died on the highway. Timing belt snapped. New belt, tuneup, and other neglected items, and vehicle is still on the road with 300k miles.

How many other domestic, euro, or asian engines can survive a timing chain or belt breakage?

Join AAA for the tow and drive it until it breaks
grin.gif

IIRC, all Ford engines that have timing belts except for the 1.6L CVH engine (discontinued in the early 80s) and some Mazda engines are non-interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back