'46 Willys jeep flathead *Need oil filter help*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, noob to this forum (first post).

I bought a 1946 Willys jeep awhile ago and put it in storage, it needs alot of work.

When I bought it, the engine (134 cu. in.) flathead 4 cylinder had no oil filter, the guy I bought the jeep from apparently removed the old bypass filter and just plugged the feed & drain.

I'm wondering what my options are, is there a better filtration system for my jeep or should I just put another bypass filter unit on and not worry about it.

Please keep in mind that this engine never came with nor was it designed to use a full flow filter assy, it came with only a bypass filter from the factory.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bill

There are kits available for the old Dodge flatheads to add filters so they might have something similar for your Willys. Check some of the vintage Jeep forums and see what might be available, or check at www.dodgepowerwagon.com and see what they might suggest for sources.

Also...

welcome.gif

Greaser, michael, thanks for your replys.

I'm a member of Jeepsunlimited and their servers have been down since late last night, those guys would probably send me to this board anyways, I'll keep trying though.

Since I don't have any type of oil filtration system on the engine I thought I might go with the Amsoil bypass filter setup instead of searching for the original parts, in all likelihood, it would probably be better for the engine if I went to a good aftermarket setup.

I'll scan the threads to see how the other guys like their Amsoil setups.

Thanks again for the help.

Bill

Since the original filter setup was a partial flow anyway, you might try asking on the Bypass forum here. I'm sure they could come up with something using TP or an easily available filter element. Just a thought.

We had an old flathead Jeep long ago- great fun vehicle! Dad bought it from the High School in Horatio, Ark. ~50-51 model Military, flat fenders & hood, *huge* 24V generator, red dash lights. I was 15 or 16 years old, & got to drive it *all* the way home, over 100 miles, at about 50-55 mph max. Talk about a kid in hog heaven! And back then there were only a handful of 4WD's in our area, so when you went hunting & got *way* back in the woods, you pretty much had it to yourself. Ah, those were the days!
grin.gif

Good luck with your old Jeep. So long as the gearboxes & axles are OK, all the rest can be fixed.
cheers.gif

Thanks Stuart, I think I'll throw a post up on the bypass forum later.

The jeep is in "not too bad" condition, the previous owner put a reproduction steel CJ3A body on it and tried to restore the drivetrain, needless to say, but with something this old, it's going to be a "money pit", but I'll give it my best shot.

I even found & bought an overdrive unit for it, maybe it'll hit 60 MPH with a tailwind.
smile.gif

Thanks again.

Bill

Here's a pic of the old Willys.
 -

Hey, that looks good! Lots shinier than ours ever was. Is that an old yellow Mopar next to it? (Or- maybe an AMC, like a Javelin or AMX?)

There's a guy on the Bypass forum that sells one ot two brands of bypass setups, at least one uses TP, & he's old enough to understand what you're dealing with. The answers you're getting over there so far sound like younger guys that don't realize that spin-on full-flow filters first came along in the 50's, & many didn't use them until 1960 or after- heck, my '57 Chevy had a full flow, *canister* type filter on it! My '53 Chevy had a partial flow filter. And our 59 & 60 Opels had no oil filter at all.
wink.gif

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

I've decided on the Motor Guard MG-30 TP filter.

Stuart, that's a good call on the MG-30, I like what I've seen.

Yes you are correct, that an old Mopar, another project *sigh*, to be more specific, it's a 1971 Charger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed with a smashed front clip (self inflicted wound, don't ask, I was young & very dumb).
banghead.gif

Regards,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back