Anyone use teflon tape on their oil drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes H2, the Honda does require the adapter. Because it is flat metal to flat metal, there has to be a washer of some sort between the valve and adapter. I thought the blue washer they supplied would be okay for that application but I did not think it would be suitable for the adapter to pan connection. I may just use a metal one between adapter and valve too.

And thanks for the tip on keeping the valve open for a while at first - it is pretty hard to open now even when I am holding it in both hands. I can imagine the problem if it gets positioned in a bad location and I can only get a finger in there.

Teflon tape is not suitable for fixtures where vibration is evident. Hence the permanent lubricating property it is not guaranteed against working loose.

Martyi; Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but after the fumoto supplied washer ripped twice, I don't use them. I use metal washers now.
My experience in the position of the spring/lever, is that ends up 'where it ends up.' I've had some on the top and some on the bottom. The fumoto people are right in that a washer may help with the positioning, but I have not used additional washers to reposition the valve spring/lever to the top. Nor have I had any problems with the level when it is 'down'. If your Honda requires the use of an extension/adapter, I did use a crush washer between the adapter and the actual valve as there was a 'space' between the two when tightened without a washer. I was thinking this space was a potential leak area. When you install it the first time, open it right away, as a couple of drops of oil will be left in the pan and will go through the valve and lubricate it. It will make it easier to open the fist time. Good luck.

I've used a couple of wraps of Teflon tape only on the last few threads of the oil pan drain bolts (right up by the head of bolt) for too many years to count. Never had any issues with tape finding its way into engine internals, but had enough issues with slight weep at drain bolts (even with copper washers sometimes) that I just started doing this as a matter of course. Wouldn't tell you to use or not use it, but it's worked fine for me in everthing from cars - trucks - tractors - 4 wheelers. Again, not a bunch and only at the upper threads. It's still there when I remove the bolt again later.

As noted above, anti-sieze is not a sealer, it's for stuff that needs to come apart later.

I do use teflon tape to smooth out some assemblies and to also take up slack. One example is a screw mount focuser on a telescope, which although nicely machined and anodized had a lot of slop and stiction. A bunch of teflon tape applied to the inside thread before screwing in the focuser tube made for an excellent focuser with very smooth movement and essentially no slop.

Note that I wouldn't advise anyone trying this on their main bearings :^)

Yes I think most oil drain plug threads are straight threads with a sealing washer. I think I read thread sealants like Teflon tape are for taper threads which have a gap between the crest and root which forms a leak path.

I've heard Permatex ultra grey (non hardening gasket dressing, not the silicone ultra grey) is good for sealing differential drain plugs. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

One method I've used in the past is after installing the fastener, cleaning the surrounding area and putting a dab of RTV on the fastener to surface interface to prevent the fastener from turning, but can be easily picked off to remove it if need be.
-Louis
patriot.gif

Dupont invented Teflon. They identify it as a lubricant. It is a "solid" and it is handy to have around for "some" pipe thread 'sealing' jobs. But don't try to blame Dupont when the fitting leaks, because they will tell you that it is a lubricant.

There is also a higher temperature rated Teflon tape which is a yellow colour. Used on say hot water fittings. Although the white tape would probably be sufficient I have used the yellow tape. Be careful not the run the tape over the end of the bolt as you may then get some tape inside.

Teflon tape is NOT always a good idea. On marine engines the exhaust manifolds and risers are often cast iron with holes for pipe nipples (or pipe plugs). We are talking NPT threading here. The directions say never to use teflon tape as the pipe nipple may thread in too easily and to far cracking the cast iron. I use Permatex ultra black instead. But unlike a oil pan drain plug, I never want to get the pipe nipple out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back