Burnt plastic smell anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a 2004 Honda Civic. A few days back I was driving and suddenly there was this burning smell coming from my car that smells like hot glue. I had the heat on so I thought it was that. The next day I took a short drive and smelled it again so I popped the hood and I didn't see smoke or anything. Checked the oil and it looked OK. I kept driving and thought it might go away in a few days but it didn't so I called the Honda dealer and sceduled an appointment that is five days away. The check engine light hasn't came on yet. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before, doesn't have to be a Civic or a Honda. Any hunches on what it could be since my appointment isn't till the 3rd? It just seems strange to me that an one year old car has a burning smell out of nowhere. By the way it has 13k miles on the odo.

I've run over those plastic shopping bags that seem to find their way right on to my catalytic converter and stink up the car for a while.
Have a look under your car if you can, even running a mirror around, to see if something got caught up in your exhaust system.
Let us know what you find.
P.B.

I think you're right about something being caught in the exhaust. It looks melted. Will the plastic eventually burn off or is there a way to remove it?

still check for slow leaks, especially the hoses to and from the radiator.

i had one a few years ago that only leaked when you were driving and didn't leave any tracks on the floor.

Those are usually loose clamp issues. They don't leak when hot since the hose is expanded. They don't leak when cold since there's no pressure on the system. They tend to leak as the engine heats up and pressurizes the system ..but the hose end is still cool.

FWIW-

What may smell like burnt plastic to one person may smell like a burnt electronics component to another.

For me it was coming from a front left brake pad that had siezed on it's slides. The vehicle having been sitting for a while outside, some surface rust finally caused the pad to stick and ride the rotor's surface causing excess heating.

I pulled over and noticed a faint cloud from the front side, and the rim was warm. I took the wheel off, worked the pads through what travel I could with what tools I could find, and the wheel was free to rotate again. I cautiously drove home, and then cleaned and lubed the pins with high-temp silicone grease. Problem solved.

This also happened to my own vehicle - driver's side rear, as well as a momentary sticking on my father's leased 9-3 on his way home from work, all within a month or two of eachother...all having the smell and warmest rim temp of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back