Genset problems kubota GL-6500S

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi from the USVI!

I'm trying to get a kubota gl-6500s diesel genset to work. The issue is that it will glow, crank, and start, but then after about 30 sec or so, will trun off. There are two solenoids (?) on the top of the engine, and the one engages, turning the linkage to the stop position... very similar in operation to my OM617 MB diesel engine in my 83 300D.

There is an auto shutdown for high coolant temp and low oil pressure. There are dummy lights to warn for these issues, and neither go on (both work though). The 'charge' light does go on, but Im assuming that this is for the battry being low in charge, as the genset is unloaded and disconnected from the house circuit at the switch.

Ill be performing normal PM service on the unit, as there was some sludge in the fuel, but I dont think that fuel starvation is the issue. The only other thing that I note is that when it catches, it makes a combo of sooty black and some greyish-whitish smoke. However it idles perfect6ly before it turns itself to 'off'.

Any suggestions or info would be most appreciated... i know this is quite vague, but anyway... thanks!

JMH

"I'll be performing normal PM service on the unit, as there was some sludge in the fuel but I don't think that fuel starvation is the issue."

??

Sounds like a clogged fuel filter, especially since you mentioned sludge in the fuel. A very common sympton of a clogged filter is an engine that can start for a few seconds, then shuts off on its own. For a diesel, which is very dependent on a clean, water-free fuel system, this can also meant that the injectors are clogged as well.
I would not be surprised if the entire fuel system, including the tank needed to be flushed, but try a new fuel filter - that's the cheapest thing. I would also suggest adding something like Stanadyne or similar lubricant/cleaner to the fuel system as PM.

alot of generators have a no load idle down function where they will drop rpm's to idle when there is no load being put on them. perhaps youre gen set is idling down too far and killing the engine. try putting some electrical load on it. it shouldnt take much, maybe you can bring a table top lamp to test with.

found some more things...

Master - youre right about the idle down setting, and with it off, it idles a bit higher... but it still turns off.

Ont thing that I foud was that the voltage meter doesnt move, and plugging in a light to the 120 outlet, doesnt turn it on (it worked on line power).

I have to wonder if the genset charges the battery for the starter via an inverter, and the generator part isnt working at all, thus the 'charge' light not turning on. I have to wonder if there is an auto shutoff if there is a fault with the generator portion... thus the no light from the receptacle as well...

I dont think the gunk in the fuel is causing the shutdown... because the 'solenoid' pushes the throttle linkage to the stop position... At least based upon my knowledge of my MB diesel, since the shutdown is done via vacuum, in a case of fuel starvation, the vacuum doesnt pull the stop lever; the engine just goes off (with the stop lever) in the on position, as opposed to if I was to shut it down, either via the key or pressing the stop lever itself. The kubota can be seen with the shutoff solenoid in the correct position, and then it moves to push the linkage to the stop position.

I have no idea as of now... hopefully some timkering this afternoon will shed some insight.

Thanks!

JMH

some generators, like mine, have a oil pressure shut off circut where they will start and run for a certain ammount of seconds even if there is no oil pressure. and after X ammount of seconds if they still do not get oil pressure then the engine shuts off. on my generator it will run for 15 seconds at a time if i unplug the oil pressure switch. thats the ammount of time it is allowed to build oil pressure.

maybe youre has a function like this? try bypassing the oil pressure switch. usually you can just ground the lead and that will bypass it.

what size engine are we talking about here? i have a 30hp 2 cyl generac.

Hi,

The genset has an oil pressure light on it... a dummy light I guess... It comes on and then shuts off after the engine starts, like the pressure is fine. But the charge light stays on... so I have to guess that there is an issue there instead (?)

Ill give that a try though, its worth a shot!

The engine is a 13 hp 2-cyl kubota (570cc), with pressurized liquid cooling system.

Thanks again!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back