Need a special tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to drain and refill the manual transmission fluid on my Subaru and have a drain plug that looks like the one in the photo. Any idea what type of tool is used to remove it and where it might be available?

Thanks!

-

Torx, as stated. There is a kit available from Lisle, and the standby Craftsman, both sold at Sears. You'll get 5 or 6 different sizes, just like a socket set..

Thanks for the information. I've never seen a Torx like that one-it's rounded on the inside edges. I'll run by Sears this afternoon and see if they have them.

All torxs are rounded like that; this is just the biggest you've seen.

That looks freakin' huge, most torx bit kits top out at T-50 which may or may not be big enough.

Vice grips on the outside surface of that plug just might work too if you get desperate.

quote:

All torxs are rounded like that; this is just the biggest you've seen.

That looks freakin' huge, most torx bit kits top out at T-50 which may or may not be big enough.

Vice grips on the outside surface of that plug just might work too if you get desperate.

Yeah, I'm used to the T15 sizes...I think this one tops out at about a T60 or T70. I ran by Sears and the largest they had was a T50 which was too small. So I bought an assortment that goes to T70 from Northern Tool online. Watch this thing be some weird specialty size when I get the set from Northern!

There are different type Torx designs. This appears to be the regular type and not the new Torx Plus.

I was told the robotics in assembly lines can use and assemble a torx but can't using a phillips or slot. an allen head seems so similar to a torx you'd think it could use one, but alas it is what it is. buy a T-70 and throw it in the glove box or toolbox and not worry about it anymore seems the simplest idea though...
44H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back