Motomaster HotWash Windshield Washer Fluid Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on sale at Canadian Tire. Although the idea of the fluid heating sounds good, I'm questioning the benefits of its usage on really cold windshield. Will it not crack if the temperature difference is about 80C? OK, it might not heat up to +60C if it is -20C outside. And the fluid will eventually cool down quite a bit while traveling in the air. But the temperature difference still sounds quite dramatic for the glass... I wonder how hot (warm) would the fluid be when it hits the glass.
What do you think?

I saw that a couple of nights ago.

A complete waste in my opinion.

Heating to +60c with an ambient of -20c seems unlikely.
A fine spray would cool very quickly in the air as well as the long trip through thin tubing from the tank to the windshield.
The fluid tends to freeze quickly unless the windshield is heated because the alcohol evaporates rapidly leaving the water.....if the solution was hot, then I think the alcohol would leave the solution even quicker.

I wouldn't bother with it either - however, I believe that GM is starting to put this on a few of their higher-end models. I read it in Car and Driver recently.

Mike

Why not just keep a can of de-icer in the trunk? I do for the once a year frozen windshield event in Austin, TX.

Its all part of a big conspiracy. The bottlers of windsheild washer fluid are behind this overpriced contraption because if you noticed, over the past few years the fluid seems to freeze up in the vehicle even if you have the -40C stuff in the reservoir. I've had to spike my fluid with methyl hydrate for the past few years to keep it from freezing where before I never gave it a second thought.

Which brings up another point. If you warm alcohol, it evaporates more quickly. So now you are heating your washer fluid, promoting a more rapid evaporation, and thus, you'll use more fluid, which of course benifits the bottlers of windshield washer fluid even more.

Anything to part the consumer with more of his cash.

Alex.

I remember times back in my country when I did not use winter washer fluid at all. The reason was that the good fluid cost more then bad vodka. So the solution to the windshield problems in extreme cold was selling on every corner. I was using the worst (cheapest) vodka I could get, sometimes diluting it with water. Sometimes as is, straight. It was very funny to drive because of the smell, but I have never had any problem with freezing nozzles, fluid, windshield, etc.

I'd like to point out that Mercedes already has this feature on some, if not all, models. The fluid is warmed to 170°F by the hot coolant, and all lines and squirters are heated. This feature is aso being sold aftermarket (called "Hot Shot"). And OEM is considering this for some vehicles.

The above posts bring up a good point in it's shortcomings.... conventional washer fluid will not work on a cold windshield. The windshield must be defrosted and warm before using washer fluid. This device will only be of marginal help in this regard.

Whether it's worth it or not is a matter of personal choice (just like all the other 'convenience' features crammed into new cars nowadays, making them maintenance nightmares). Personally, I prefer simplicity. I've lived in Detroit my whole life and I rarely have problems with windshield washer systems. I see this device as a solution in search of a problem.

quote:

Whether it's worth it or not is a matter of personal choice (just like all the other 'convenience' features crammed into new cars nowadays, making them maintenance nightmares).
I see this device as a solution in search of a problem.

Exactly. Reminds me of some of the electronic junk they are putting on cars these days. The i-drive system that BMW has is a perfect example of making things more difficult than had been - does anyone think that really was an improvement over the old HVAC and radio controls?

Mike

quote:

The fluid is warmed to 170°F by the hot coolant, and all lines and squirters are heated.

So in frugal terms, just use a length of washer hose, spiral it around one of your heater hoses and you accomplish the same thing for a lot less than $49.99.

Vodka sounds like an interesting solution =-) as well. 'Honest officer, I was only cleaning my windows...'

Alex.

And with the Vodka a extra hose ran into the passenger compartment....

Why not use the special deicer windshield wash solutions? I've found they work great, won't freeze up on the windshield like the cheap methanol based fluids do when the alcohol evaporates out of it and does a really good of clearing frost off a cold windshield. Cost a bit more but worth it IMHO.

What about a cracked windshield in extreme weather?
dunno.gif

i have seen a windshield broken in 0 degree weather with a cup of not so hot coffee. was not pretty.

My mini-van windsheild craked right in half after I let the thing run for about 10 minutes trying to get all the ice off the van after an ice storm a few years back...wasn't too impressed with newer glass quality I tell YA!
thumbsdown.gif
mad.gif

"with the Vodka a extra hose ran into the passenger compartment...."

I once read about a guy who actually did this, after giving the windshield washer reservoir a good cleaning.

I also read about a guy whose vehicle had the sun beating down on it during the whole of a very hot day. He got in the vehicle, turned the A/C on high with the control set to the defroster/floor vent position, and cracked the windshield. So I wouldn't trust the opposite either -- hot liquid on a very cold windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back