Ford 4.6L V8 or 5.4L V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm close to closing a deal on a '05 Ford F-150 truck. Of the two trucks I’m looking at, one has the 4.6L V8 and the other has the 5.4L V8. I like the truck with the 5.4L better than the one with the 4.6L, (and the epa mpg rating is virtually the same) but wondered, does anyone have any experience with these engines…is one better than the other?

My brother bought a new '05 F150 4x2 with the 5.4L this past June. That is one smooth and powerful v8. Nice truck all around. Decent layout under the hood. He says he gets 20mpg hywy with it- unloaded, taking it easy.

G/luck
Joel

We had a 1997 F-150 at work with the 4.6 and it was a really good truck. Went 230,000 miles before it was wrecked and lived a lifetime on 15W-40 diesel truck oil. Have been told that in real life the 5.4 gets worse mileage than the 4.6, so if you don't need the extra power I would go with the smaller engine. FWIW I have a 2001 Dodge, 3.9 six with the 5 speed manual tranny and it gets about the same gas mileage as a small Ford V-8. I really like the 4.6.

They are both modular engines and for all intents and purposes have the same good points and bad points. Reliability is the same. The 5.4 always seemed to have a noticable edge in power, as it should.

I have an F-150 with a 4.6L. it has plenty of power for the loads/driving I do and I like it. fron what I have read the 5.4 gets the close to the same gas mileage and does have much more power. both have proven reliable. the newer trucks have the sparkplug problem fixed.

on the freeway I have gotten 20 mpg.

Did they fix the shooting out sparkplug problem? I hear that basic maintenance on these trucks is a disaster.
freak2.gif

The 5.4 has the spark plug head problems. I was told thought that this problem has been fixed though. The 4.6 has oil burning heads that I was told this was fixed also. They are both good motors but have their quirks. I would get the 5.4 because they seem to last longer than the 4.6

The 5.4 and the 4.6L have always used the same heads (until recently).

Get the 5.4L or someday you'll be sorry you don't have the extra power.

I'd get the 5.4.

The new 3 valve heads with VVT have helped a lot in the power department as well as for fuel economy. My brother has a 04 F150 FX4 Super Cab 4 X 4 with the 5.4 and 3.73 axle and he reports much better mileage than his 99, same package and engine with a 3.55 (before the 3 valve heads and VVT).

Ford is introducing the rejuvenated 4.6 (292 HP) on the new for 06 Explorer. My guess is that they will offer it in the pick-ups next year. If I wanted a 4.6, I'd wait another year or get the 5.4.

I bought a '05 F-150 2WD with the 5.4L mainly because it had the options (3.55 limited slip axle, trailer package) and color I wanted. I got a great deal that I couldn't pass up. I've read about the shooting spark plugs on another forum but as a couple of you stated above I believe this has been fixed. Thanks to all that replied.
wink.gif
Now for the hard part. Figuring out which oil to use!

The epa rating is 15/19 for both the 4.6L and the 5.4L. What gets me is the epa rating is not that much different that my '02 Ranger with a 4.0L that our son is buying from us!

I'm not 100% sure about the three-valve motors, but I think this still applies...
The 5.4 is built a bit more stout with a forged crank. And I'm fairly certain the rods are a bit more stout (but I could be wrong abou tthe rods)

But in reality, it seems that both of these engines are quite bulletproof.

I've got 120K on my 5.4 and I'm running a blower at 13 psi. Still runs like a champ.

read the technical service bulletins and recalls on the nhtsa.gov web site. i have a '99 5.4 and the plugs take about six hours ,if you are lucky, to change.

I'm not 100% sure about the three-valve motors, but I think this still applies...
The 5.4 is built a bit more stout with a forged crank. And I'm fairly certain the rods are a bit more stout (but I could be wrong abou tthe rods)
These are modular motors, no rods. The 5.4 will last no longer than a 4.6 it just gives a little extra power. Also depends on maitnence, I have seen many 5.4s and 4.6s last to 500,000 miles and than again I have seen them not even last to 150,000 miles.

Get the 5.4, more power and torque, probably no worse on the fuel economy.

4.6 has no torque, never has. I can't believe they put something that weak in a full size truck. I drove a brand new '05 F150 4.6 for a little while (I put 1500 miles on it) as a rental and was thoroughly disappointed with the power. I ran a 0-60 on the G-tech, took 10.3 seconds. Pathetic! After a week I made the rental place give me something else, I couldn't handle it anymore. But I guess it's o.k. if you are used to slow trucks that get crappy gas mileage.

They replaced my rental F150 w/ a new Silverado 4.8 V8. The chevy 4.8 ran a 8.8 second 0-60 on my G-tech. Night and Day difference in torque and passing power. Even hauling a load in the back, night and day. And the chevy got better mileage to boot.

Not slamming Ford here, just that motor in that truck. For the record I drive a Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back