Resurecting old Triumph Stag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening, or afternoon, or morning!

I have been ghosting BITOG for a while, and greatly appreciate the discussions, and knowledge presented.

I am about to enter into a daunting project of helping a friend bring his dad's old Stag back into working order.

According to Dad, the Stag needed body work, but ran beautifully. There is some back story about a disagreement with the body shop, and the car was parked until the work could be completed.

This was over four years ago, and the car was put up on blocks - Literally. Nothing else was done to it, the battery was been totally ignored, and the tank is about half full.

I plan on dropping what's left of the sludge in the engine, (oil, coolant) checking the ATF, and draining the tank. Other than a new battery (or peroxiding the existing one and trying a charge) is there anything else you could point a rookie in the direction of to get this thing running?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Dyruss,
Calgary, Alberta.
canada.gif

I wouldnt bother with the coolant change until you after you get the engine running. A leak may develop and youd just have to repeat. the 1st thing I would do after draining the tank would be to remove the plugs and pour an oz or 2 of MMO in each cylinder. allow it to work for awhile and then try to turn the engine over with a wrench. Spin it over a few times then drain the oil and replace. Add a bottle or 2 of injector cleaner to the gas. Something that would dry up water. Once the oil has been changed, pull the coil wire and crank the engine over for a few seconds to spread some oil around. Replace the coil wire and spray some starting fluid in the intake. Good luck. please post results.

Half a tank of fuel that's 4 years old? That stuff is gonna be like varnish. Drain it and clean the fuel system out to give the old girl every chance to start.

If the engine has not been turned over for a long time and you REALLY want to MINIMIZE start-up damage, here's the best way to do it:

1) Do NOT turn the engine over.
2) Drain out the old oil and crud.
3) Install a new oil filter (if it has one).
4) Buy a few gallons of cheap motor oil and fill the block with it, up to the level of the camshaft.
5) Pull out the spark plugs and pour some oil down each cylinder.
6) Let everything soak in for several hours (at least).
7) Crank the engine slowly by hand to make sure nothing is stuck (like a piston ring).
8) If the engine is free, crank it for a while with the starter until the oil pressure comes up (leave the spark plugs out to reduce any pressure against the bearings.
9) Drain out the excess oil to bring the level down to normal.
10) Replace the spark plugs and start the engine. Run it long enough to warm it up well.
11) Change the oil and filter. Use good oil this time.

Overkill? It depends on your perspective. How much money are you spending on this rig? Is the engine in good condition? A few gallons of cheap oil won't set you back that much, and you can use the leftover oil for the same thing later on.

Good luck-and by the way
welcome.gif

If the battery has been sitting for 4 years without charging then just go and buy a new one. Not even worth charging as it will probably be badly sulfated and whilst it might hold some charge it will die quickly under load.

Remember to check out the brakes and at a minimum bleed them. Check they are working properly and there are no leaks.

OOOH a Stag. Most every British sports car in America has been shipped back to England for the enthusiasts there. So sad.

When I was in High School the first car I had was a Triumph Spitfire which I completely rebuilt. Then I had a bugeye sprite, which I rebuilt. English cars are curiously simple and very unreliable but very easy to work on.

What year is the Stag? If I remember correctly it is a 6 cylinder hard top, right? Not many of them around.

I think they have two Zenith Stromberg Diaphragm type carburators. I am sure they are toast by now. You should rebuild them. The main diaphragm is probably cracked. Check the piston in the carb for free movement. They are beautifull carburators when they function properly. It is just that they require a lot of maintenance. Also that car has no fuel filter. A little bit of crud in those carbs will make it run like crap. Just cut the copper fuel line to the fuel pump and put in a good fuel filter. The gas tank is bound to have a bunch of crud floating in it by now. Like someone else said. Get rid of that old gas.

There is a lot of focus on oil here. However, the problem with that car is contaminants in the gas. Those carbs are very sensitive.

Let us know what happens. We love follow up.

The Stag had a 3 litre V8 motor according to this website Triumph models I remember seeing several around our area with that distinctive exhaust note.

As a side note TR3 Triumphs were hand-built in Australia in 1956-57.

Many downunder replace the troublesome Triumph donk with the rover 3.5, or the Leyland 4.4 alloy V-8s.

If it's got diaphragm CD carbies, I'd not even try to start it until they were re-kitted (easy job).

There's an annual springtime British car show in Dixon,CA. I recall seeing a couple of Stags there last time I attended. All things British w/ plenty of stuff from the 60-70's, back when cars had personality and uniqueness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back