Autozone Duralast Gold Brake Pads - GG Friction Coeff.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I wrote to autozone to ask the friction coefficient of their duralast gold brake pads. The application is for a 1998 S10 ZR2 - its the S10 with 4-wheel disc brakes.

The parts numbers are DG729 & DG726

The Morse Automotive (manufacturer of the pads) manager replied to me that they are 'GG' friction rated. According to this site:
http://ducatigarage.netfirms.com/brakepads.html

'GG' is a friction coefficient of 0.45-.55 both at hot and cold, where:
C = less than 0.15. D= 0.15 to 0.25. E= 0.25 to 0.35. F= 0.35 to 0.45. G= 0.45 to 0.55, and H= over 0.55.

JMH

I've never even seen GG pads, so I usually just look for the FF's.
An S10 would probably be a very good application for GG pads; GM's seem to require a lot of pedal force for braking.

JHZR2 - Consider Hawk HPS pads. No noise, imperceptable dust, long life, and great grab hot or cold.
I've put on a jillion brake pads, and these are a definate upgade from any stock replacement. They make the brakes feel like they are a larger diameter.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
JHZR2 - Consider Hawk HPS pads. No noise, imperceptable dust, long life, and great grab hot or cold.
I've put on a jillion brake pads, and these are a definate upgade from any stock replacement. They make the brakes feel like they are a larger diameter.

JHZR2 - I took mechtech's suggestion on a full size Toyota and he's right on the money!

Yes, I asked for a reccomendation once before on this forum, and have noted mechtech's reccomendation - and likely I will go with the HPS pads, because of all of the good stuff Ive read about them.

It just suprised me to see a GG coefficient, let alone on a $38.95 set of pads!

JMH

In a similar vein, I'm desperate to find a better all-around pad than the OEM installed in my G35. Obviously, it's a performance oriented car, and the stock brakes do grab and stop beautifully, but they generate more black dust than a coal mining operation, and from their durability, I'd say that they must be about the consistency of a Twinkie.

My saab is the same way... black wheels, but 108 ft 60-0... about as *** as it gets.

Unfortunately there is always a compromise in engineering these things!

JMH

Wow that's pretty nice info. Should be easier to get (ie just written on the box) but thank you for doing the footwork.

One can use it to bias their brakes more towards the rear, to fight oversteer, by selecting stickier rear shoes. Or just make sure the bias is still stock when doing brakes an axle at a time.

I second the Hawk HPS receommendation for the street. On my 99 Civic EX Coupe 5speed, my OEM front pads lasted 125k miles (yes, that's right!), the rear shoes are still going @130.5k miles. I autocrossed HEAVILY for 3 out of the 6 years on OEM pads.

I was jumping for joy when I started to hear the squeel tabs. Waiting in my garage, I had a set of Hawk HPS front pads ($40/set), AutoZone DuraLast rotors ($22/ea), and AutoZone ValuCraft rear drums ($12/ea). For just over $100 in parts, my brakes have never felt better. I use Valvoline Synpower Brake Fluid.

I highly recommend the Hawk HPS, quiet, very acceptable dust, and it BITES. They were not expensive for my application ($40). I suggest you browse this store, or better yet, call them for an exact match and price quote. PM me if you want a discount, you have to do wholesale login to get that applied. Delivered right away in my case since I received mine in MI. I just noticed they upped the price on mine to $60. Nevertheless, I would buy them again if I had to today.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/contactus.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back