How to remove a broken key

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 96 Nissan Sentra from auction. The ignition key is broken off in the switch. I got the one broken key. I can start the car, but I can't lock any of the doors. Does anyone have any ideas how the get the broken piece out?

All locksmiths should have a tool called "Broken Key Extractor." It does exactly what it says. I drove a company vehicle to a locksmith to get a key out. Took him all of about 4 seconds. Cost was $20.00. If they have to come to you the price gets steep. Good luvk.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
All locksmiths should have a tool called "Broken Key Extractor." It does exactly what it says. I drove a company vehicle to a locksmith to get a key out. Took him all of about 4 seconds. Cost was $20.00. If they have to come to you the price gets steep. Good luvk.

Cool that sound like the way to go. Thanks!

You can it with two ice picks or two pocket knife blades. Grip as far in as you can get and lever out. Usually works very well.

Iv'e used small dia stiff wire such as picture hanging wire before. I put a small bend at one end and slowly slide it along side the key until it was beyond the end of the key. Then I turned the wire slightly, until the bend in the wire was over the end of the key and simply pulled out the old key.

Anybody ever use the Force?
tongue.gif

Well I took it to a lock smith yesterday. He couldn't get it out. He did manage to move it enough that I couldn't start the car.
mad.gif
I had to go to work so I got a ride. At 10:00pm I got a voice mail from him saying they got it out. Thankfully without take the column apart. It cost 80 bucks with two keys made. Thanks for all your replies.
cheers.gif

had a honda ct70 scooter i got from goodwill warehouse where someone busted the key in the switch.
i used a fine point on my isotip iron and got the key to take solder.turned off the iron and let it cool a few seconds.pulled the rest of the key out with the iron.

One trick is first lube the broken key,,as Pentro-90,Triflow,,,any good penetrating lubricant,,then take 2 very small jewlers screw drivers (like the ones you find in a cheap set at Big lots),,then put your bi-focals on and work it out,,,or take apart the lock mounting in the steering colume,and if luck permits there maybe a tiny hole in end of lockset to push key out,,,,BL

hah, one time i broke a key (not inside anything) and i superglued the 2 pieces together, and had the ace hardware guy carefully make a new one... actually worked perfect!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back