How to Best Clean / Flush a Transmission Cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
shouldn't really need to flush it as there shouldnt be that much foreign material in the trans. fluid. but if you still want to, and since it has trans fluid through it i'd say flush in a solvent tank then hit it with air on one end then the other end clean it good and re-install..
44H

Lubegard makes a pretty nice flush for ATF coolers and lines.

FWIW most tranny shops flush once. If she doesn't come completely clean on the 1st try then the cooler gets replaced.

I'd squirt in brake cleaner and follow with compressed air. That stuff is a really good solvent and leaves no residue as it completely evaporates.

Somewhere else I read the following suggestion:

1) Flush it with kerosene.

2) Rinse it with alcohol.

3) Dry it with compressed air.

What do you think of this procedure?

When doing any tranny work I always flush out the cooler.

I've used www.bulkpart.com not only for parts but also for the flush that they sell. Big can of pressurized cleaner with plastic adapter for connecting to the steel tranny cooler line on the vehicle. It's a breeze to use and no residue left either.

Disconnect the lines at the transmission. Attach the spray can to one cooler line, place a catchcan at the end of the other cooler line, then just spray the contents. Takes all of 2 minutes and you would be surprised at what comes out!

Sorry, should have mentioned the flush.

I have used the Transflush - it comes in a larger size can, 18oz I think. I use 1 can unless the transmssion has had "issues", like a converter meltdown, burned clutches, etc. Then I use 2 just for added insurance. I think that for your purpose 1 can is plenty.

Maybe a local auto parts might carry this stuff too, I just order it along with whatever parts I may be getting.

I've used carb cleaner, followed by alcohol, and lots of compressed air. I'm sure there is better stuff but sometimes you used what you have at hand. If there is any doubt at all, I replace it, don't like taking chances and doing the whole thing over again after towing the car home.

Follow the directions for the common "tranny cooler line" flush. Then swap the cooler pressure/drain hoses and use the transmission to "flush the cooler" with fluid flow in reverse.
Any solvent(kerosene, engine flush, biodiesel,...) can be added to the cooler prior to restarting car with ATF cooler hoses reversed.
And, if there was any crud in the cooler, you'll be able to see it in the "bucket" that you're aiming the ATF hose in during the flush.
All the solvent will be pushed out of the ATF cooler by the normal ATF flow so rinsing and drying are not needed.

http://lubegard.com/automotive/trans_kooler_kleen.html
http://lifeautomotive.com/Products/ATI2001.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back