oil leak on 3.1 chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 94 chevy lumina has an oil leak, a mechanic said( almost at a glance) that it was a front seal and would be pretty costly to repair. My question is, if the seal was leaking would the leak show with the car just idling? not in gear? the oil only drains for a short while after driving. And any guesses about the cost of a seal? the car has about 50,000 miles.

I would certainly make sure where the leak is before paying much money to have it fixed.
A common leak on some of the Chevy 3.1's is the oil pump shaft O-ring. I replaced it on my son's 1993 Chevy 3.1. His is on top of the block on the drivers side.
Here is a "how to" link:

http://www.v6z24.com/howto/oring

"Bubba is the man", Not being able to stand it, last night I starting looking for myself. The link you provided could be a picture of my problem. I'm going to read it a few more times and maybe try it myself. Thanks for the quick response. Also thanks "Fever". Hey if I can't handle it any idea what a real mechanic should charge?

If you are able to determine the O-ring is leaking, I would just ask a mechanic for an estimate.
I cannot say whether your '94 is the same as our '93, but it is not that bad to do it yourself. I made it harder than it needs to be.
Get the following before you start:
New o-ring, throttle body gasket, throttle body cleaner, and throttle body coolant lines.
I spent too much time trying to remove the old coolant lines before I just cut them off. The dealer was not open, and Oreillys did not have the exact replacement for the formed hose, but they were able to find a similar hose that I cut down to size.
When I went to pull the shaft out, it was really stuck. I spent too much time pulling on it before I got aggressive with a pair of vise grips and more muscle. I think it was just "varnished" in place.

Hey Bubba, just to let you know the o-ring was the problem, it's taken care of, no oil leak now. I spent about three dollars, gasket and o-ring, and about two hours labor. I noticed you like to hunt, if your ever around southern West Virginia let me know and I'll put you on a trophy white tail. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back