Help interpret oil pump relief valve spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shop manual for my old '84 F150 300 cid I6 engine states that the oil pump "Relief Valve Spring Pressure Lbs. @ Specified Length" should be "20.6 - 22.6 @ 2.49".

I am wondering if there is a way to translate that to what oil pressure should open the relief valve (though presumably the valve opens partly to fully over a range of pressure).

Given that the pressure spec is 40-60 psi at 2000 rpm, the relief pressure must be a lot higher than the "Spring Pressure." My '95 F150 with same engine and pressure spec, maxes out cold pressure around 55 psi, but I think I have a weak relief valve spring (for example my 1990 Ford 460 V8 maxes out cold around 75 and has similar hot spec: 40-65 psi).

Hey, the other weird thing is they give the pressure spec as a single number (275 kPa), followed by a range for psi (40-60). If I recall correctly 100 kPa is about 14.5 psi, so their kPa figure is about 40 psi. Strange.

I believe 100 kpa is 1 bar ..which I think is one atmosphere at sealevel ..which is 40 psi and change.

You've got to factor in the "Square inch" deal into the spring pressure at a given length. 22 lb weight rating over a .25^" poppet valve/ball will be different than if it has a 1^" relief port.

I don't have a clue on how you would integrate the free length spec to a in use pressure.
dunno.gif

That spring spec is for free length.
I've sometimes put a washer in the seat, to get more pressure before bleed-off, but it won't help anything if the valve is not activated - like hot oil at normal running.

1 bar and 1 atm are very nearly identical, but I can't recall the exact figure for psi. I remembered something in the 15-18psi range, but I just don't recall exactly.

you can figure it out if you know the area of the piston/surface acting on the spring. if the area is 1/2 sq in. the pressure required to open it would be 41.2-45.2psi.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
I've sometimes put a washer in the seat, to get more pressure before bleed-off ...

Nice idea. I understand there are a few engines where the oil pump bypass spring can be changed from the side of the block. I guess if I were in far enough to get the oil pump apart I would get a new pump (or a new spring).

Given:

k=spring rate in lb/in
L=Distance spring must compress in order open relief passage
A=area of relief piston = (pi*dia**2)/4
P=Pressure relief pressure in PSI

The formula would be:

P=k*L/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back