How do I clean the throttle body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer says my VW/Audi 1.8T needs a throttle body service. Do I just spray carb cleaner into the intake?
Thanks.

Those VW 1.8T throttle bodies can be tricky(read expensive if screwed up), especially the ones that don't have a traditional throttle cable. I suggest you go over to the vwvortex 1.8T technical forum & do a lot of searching before you do this. Better safe than sorry.

I know nothing abut VW throttle bodies!!! So take what I am ambout to say with a grain of salt! Amsoil Power foam works great to clean most TB's of carbon,oily residue and dirt.

The throttle body is easily removed, at least on my 2.8 Audi motor. After removing the gas linkage and after pulling the plenum off, the TB can be removed. It's held on with 4 (torx or hex) bolts. The 1.8T is similar as far as I know, but unlike mine, the 1.8T may have a fly-by wire throttle body. You really want to take it off and clean it out from both sides. You'll need a new polyperse wax/paper gasket. After reinstalling the TB, if you have fly-by-wire TB, you will have to perform a "throttle body adaption" (calibration of the butterfly valve(s)), which can easily be performed following a simple procedure (Check the tech section on audiworld.com).

Here's how my TB looked before I cleaned it:

-

I was told that Carb Cleaner like Berrymans can be a little harsh on throttle bodies, (ie due to some of the sensors and other plastic components used), and to use a fuel injector cleaner instead - like Techron instead.

I don't know how true that is for your unit.

You can give Valvoline Synpower Carb & TB Cleaner a shot. I used it on my '98 Blazer last year with great results.

I used Valvoline Synpower about 6 months ago & I was satisfied with the results.

Used the CRC TB cleaner just last week, on a different engine, and it seemed to do a better job.

- Just my impressions, not a scientific comparison, by any means.

I use CRC brand also. It is TEFLON safe for coated TBs and SCs. It just melts the carbon right off. I remove the MAF and clean that separately with elecrical contact cleaner. On my car I also remove the IAC valve.(not sure if yours has one or not.

You probably want to do this near the end of your OCI.

On the inside of the Audi TB are no plastic parts I'm aware of. You can use any carb cleaner. On the outside, simply avoid soaking the TPS and the idle switch (if equipped). A soft brush works well for scrubbing some of the stickier gunk off.

can this be done on a ford 5.8 engine this truck surges badly i was told i can spray throttle body cleaner in there but by doing this will it harm any sensors

Slightly off topic:

I was under the impression that Techron, while quite good, only cleaned the fuel injectors and intake valves, but not the throttle body. I always wondered how it could clean those two areas and not clean the TB. Nonetheless, I use it every six months.

quote:

I was under the impression that Techron, while quite good, only cleaned the fuel injectors and intake valves, but not the throttle body. I always wondered how it could clean those two areas and not clean the TB.

Don't Fords have FI? How'd the Techron get into the TB?
wink.gif

The throttle body gets dirty from vapors from the PCV, and vaporized fuel. It cooks when off.
If there is techron in the fuel, it will have an impact [indirectly] , on the throttle body cleanliness.

I guess I should have clarified that you manually clean the throttle body with Techron. (soak it and/or clean with a toothrush).

Obviously Techron put in the gas tank won't reach the throttle body.

Maybe there are better cleaners but Techron is an effective cleaner and less harsh then Berryman's carb cleaner.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

I was under the impression that Techron, while quite good, only cleaned the fuel injectors and intake valves, but not the throttle body. I always wondered how it could clean those two areas and not clean the TB.

Don't Fords have FI? How'd the Techron get into the TB?
wink.gif

In case of my TB, pictured in one of my above posts, all or at least most of the gunk is from blowby. And I did use only good fuel and also Techron fuel system/injector cleaner regularly. Doesn't look like the cleaners worked via the PCV.

I regularly clean my throttle bodies and offer free advice as follows:

1. Never use a carb cleaner. Many throttle bodies have an unseen plastic lining at the butterfly valve and carb cleaner disolves this, you lose the proper valve seating and you'll never get your idle right again. Also, the carb cleaner will kill O2 sensors. Buy a throttle body cleaner.
2. You want to be very gentle in cleaning around the butterfly valve so as not to damage the plastic.
3. I buy a wad of the ultra soft yellow colored shop cloths that have a very soft velour like side.
4. I keep these cloths in a sealed plastic bag so as not to get any grit on them.
5. With engine off, spray the throttle body with TB cleaner, let it soak a bit. Spray TB cleaner on the velour side of a cloth and wipe the surface of the TB, opening the TB by hand. Wipe the edges of the butterfly valve. Keep using fresh parts of the cloth and spraying the cloth section. The idea is to let the cleaner do the work and not have too much mechanical action.

I clean the TB on my vehicles at least every 15k miles. You'll be surprised how much "stuff" you get. My Max with 125k miles idles perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back