Walmart 10W-30 Synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen the Walmart 10W-30 Synthetic blend (MAG1) on the shelf at $1.63 / quart -- I was wondering if this bargain priced oil will offer me additional protection at 3-4k oil change intervals -- I have been using Chevron Supreme 10W-30 with a Supertech Oil filter after reading the posts on this board. 1996 Camry - 5S-FE engine. Mostly city driving - around 30 miles per day in the Southwest US.

Hi mehere. Granted, I don't know anything about the Wal*Mart synthetic blend. But IMO, if you're already using Chevron Supreme @ 3-4K OCIs, what more protection do you need? I also do similar OCIs and switched from a syth. blend and to Chevron Supreme in the interest of saving $$.

Chevron supreme is a very good oil. My theory on sludge is the best way to avoid it is with regular oil changes using a good oil. I'd stay with the Chevron every 3K.

Look at the descriptions on the Warren link which I posted. They are touting the 10w30 and 10w40 as higher mileage oils apparently with seal conditioners. Although they have the high mileage description for all of their oils in the headlines, the body of the text touts the lighter weights for newer cars. As smaller blenders attempt to compete in the lube market their marketing gets blurred. In this case they are trying to make the same base stocks go against both blends and high mileage oils. This may be further confused by Mobil 1 labeling 10w30 for higher mileage engines.

I'd also like to point out that the oil lists a NOACK volitility of
My daughter's driving a pre-sludgeomatic early 90's Camry which seems to be losing oil. Bad seals I'd guess. I might just throw some seal swelling additive into it and see what happens. I'm less concerned than others here of the dangers of mixing, using additives, etc. Especially on beaters with more than 150K.

Got roped into replacing all the seals in a Prizm that I bought with 100K+ and mistakenly took to a Toyota dealer for a new timing belt. Wonder if the high costs involved with seal replacement were worth it. It's easy to spend more money than the car is worth "doing it right". Of course your car is a lot newer.

[ December 01, 2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
I'd also like to point out that the oil lists a NOACK volitility of

I believe that the to qualify for SL-spec oil, the NOACK volitility must be less than 15%. So this number isn't telling us anything in this case.

The reason for my concern is that I have the 5S-FE - 4 cylinder Camry engine that in some posts here has some problems with sludge ???

Typical Physical Properties of MAG 1 Synthetic Blend, Higher Mileage Motor Oils
Test Method Typical Results
Viscosity Grade 5W-20 5W-30 10W-30 10W-40
Gravity, °API................................................ASTM D-287 ...........................33.4...........................32.7 ...........................29.8 ...........................29.7
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6 ºC) ................ASTM D-287 ...........................0.86...........................0.86 ...........................0.88 ...........................0.88
Viscosity
@ 40ºC, cSt ...............................................ASTM D-445 ...........................48.4...........................60.9 ..........................101.3.........................101.3
@ 100ºC, cSt .............................................ASTM D-445 ............................8.7............................10.4 ............................9.9 ...........................15.04
Pour Point, ºC (ºF).........................................ASTM D-97..............................-42 ............................-42.............................-48.............................-38
Viscosity Index .............................................ASTM D-2270..........................159............................162 ............................142............................156
Low Temperature Viscosity
cP at Temperature (ºC), Max .......................ASTM D-2602.................. High Temperature/High Shear Vis, cP............ASTM D-4683 ..........................2.6............................2.89 ...........................2.94 ............................3.7
NOACK Volatility, % off ..............................................................................<15 ...........................<15............................<15............................<15

Here's the link to the ST spec sheets:

http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/syntheticblend.pdf

Sorry for all the dots as I brought it in from the clipboard. This stuff always seemed odd to me because the 10w30 had a lower pour point than the lighter weight oil.

I'd always heard that blends (with the exception of Schaeffers) had about 10% group III at most. I've thrown a half quart of ST synthetic in with the cheap dino stuff. Bet that gets me a higher percentage for less money.

For most cars, almost any oil will do for 3-4K. I thought most Toyota sludging problems were with the V-6. Although I do use SuperTech dino, my suspicions are that the Chevron is probably just as good an oil as their blend, although the ST 10w30, if the specs are right has remarkable low temperature properties.

The 1996 is now 7 plus years old and I was thinking that the enhancers help oil seals in the blend -- formulated for higher mileage? Maybe I am just throwing money down the oil drain?

Can MAG1 (Supertech bottler) - be a quality alternative to Chevron Supreme ?? - that is the real question here - I mean Wally world will go to the lowest priced supplier -- does that mean the lowest quality also?

Most here would disagree with me. I've used the dino. oil and posted it's specs against name brand oils-- it compares favorably. I've also gotten a very good UOA on my Elantra.

Blends, especially no-name blends get bad press here, but the only UOA of SuperTech blend got a very good test:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000759

Why not try it and send in a UOA?

OK -- csandste your reasoning seems sound and I will send in a UOA on my next oil change in about 500 miles - where do I send it and what is the process.This should shed some new light on the Supertech debate.

I still want a debate on the "quality" of the MAG1 products from the community at large - they are slowly supplying more and more of Wally world automotive products.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
Why not try it and send in a UOA?

Hey csandste,

I sent off a sample yesterday of the SuperTech Full Synthetic 10W30. Ran it 6894 miles. Should have some results in about a week and I'll post it to the board then
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back