Solvent for windshield Urethane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say I get some urethane on my hands while installing a sunroof in my car...how would I get it off after it has cured?
grin.gif
I've tried acetone, paint prepping solvent, gas, varsol, etc. The only thing that's worked has been picking off my skin!!!!
shocked.gif

Thanks, Steve (the fool from Sudbury)

If it was a real urethane, 2 package or moisture curing, it is chemically bonded to your skin. If you don't apply any more, it will wear away, just as your skin does. Skin constantly replenishes itself. As flakes of skin fall off, the urethane bonded to it, goes too.

ditto what labman said... in the case of cured urethane, you're screwed... just gotta let it wear off. we use Sonneborn NP1 and NP2 at work which are 1 and 2 part urethane caulking, respectivley. you can use gas or paint thinner to remove them before they cure.

-Bret

Thanks guys, I figured I was doomed once it cured. The stuff I used was a 1 part moisture activated urethane. I just finished putting in a 2nd roof vent and fixing a leaky windshield in my van so I'll never have to deal with it again.
smile.gif
Whoever put the sunroof in the car I took it out of had some amazing talent. You could barely find any traces of the urethane but the thing didn't leak or have any rust around the cut.

Steve

It's finally gone.
smile.gif
I ended up using 150 wet sandpaper to get most of it off of my skin but that didn't work for the wrinkles around my knuckles. I tried using a Mach 3 razor but it wouldn't bite under the glue.

I also posted pictures of my new sunroof a VW site and everybody there stopped talking to me.
lol.gif
They seam to think beat up old diesels are collector cars. I love the sunroof...my job is to drive and the sunroof is a lot quiter that opening a window. Too bad cars don't have those trap door vents anymore.

Cheers, Steve

I have found that $.05 worth of rubber gloves help to remove urethane and other nasty adhesives from my skin. it is as though the chemical just pulls right off of my hands
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back