How to get grease out of clothes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized, i ruined a lot of my clothes over the past few months working on my car. I was wondering if there's any trick to get grease stains off. A lot of the clothes have already been washed and still have stains. I should probably change my habits but who knows. I also have a hoodie with a ton of antifreeze on it, haven't washed it yet, do you think that will come off?

I've always used Lestoil at the laundrymat for my oily stuff. it stinks pretty bad, but it's effective.

-Bret

once they have been washed in you are out of luck...other then that try soaking in "JOY" dish wahing detergant ...one of the best degreasers out there ..what do you think they used after the Exxon Valdez crashed? ..they sprayed Joy on the beaches .. it disperses it...just dig down a foot or 2 ond you will strike oil!

I got sick of ruining my clothes as well. My solution. I bought a couple of pairs of overalls and use these when working on the car and often in the garden. I don't care if these get stained. My wife bought these at an op-shop in as new condition (one winter & one summer pair - differnt thickness of cloth), although they aren't that dear new.

Before you laugh at this, hear me out.

Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the wash with the greasy clothes and soap and you will be amazed how clean they are when they come out.

My coveralls were CAKED with drill grease and they came out PERFECT.

"All" detergent and Oxy-Clean seem to be getting oil stains off my jeans and T-shirls fairly well.
dunno.gif

Stain Stick by Spray N Wash has produced good results for me.

It comes in a round push-up tube, similar to an older style under-arm deodorant. Just rub it on the grease spots & toss the clothes in the washer with a normal amount of liquid detergent!

Soaking the area is your best bet. Simple Green seems to work well for oil stains.

-T

A heaping handfull of Go-Jo Hand cleaner. Preferably without pumice. My work closes come out looking new. I've even used this method on good clothes and save near disaster as well. But Go-Jo is expensive, and leaves a petroleum smell.

I have used Simple Green and Castrol Super Cleaner(purple jug) both seem to do a decent job. I work in a wood shop so what I do is one load of car grubbies then a load of work cloths. The stuff I wear at the wood shop I prefer not to mix with the wife's stuff yet don't want to mix it directly with the greasy car stuff so it makes a good in between load to flush out the washer.

Liquid Dish Soap works well and so does Castrol SuperClean. I usualy try dish soap first. If the stain is still their I hit it with Castrol SUperClean while still wet and rewash! Once you wash and dry it you are SOL! SO always get as much out before you dry it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back