Have a Detroit TrueTrac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any Ford 8.8 Detroit TrueTrac owners here?

There appears to be a common mode of "failure" where the stock/Tractech Grade 8 bolts holding the side caps onto the carrier body stretch over time and snap off.

The side caps (which are the bearing surfaces for the pinions) are then held in place by the carrier bearings/races so catastrophic failure isn't likely.

The reason why the bolts fail is still unclear but it's suspected that the pinions slamming against the caps frequently causes the cheap bolts to stretch over time and eventually snap off. I've seen some pics of the bolts posted on Corner-Carver and they do not appear to have sheared off. The bolt heads actually separated from the threaded portion OR the threaded portion has snapped off (clean snap, no shear).

The bolts are either:
3/8 x 16 tpi x 1.5" for driver side
3/8 x 16 tpi x 1" for passenger side

OR

3/8 x 24 tpi x 1.5" for driver side
3/8 x 24 tpi x 1" for passenger side

The "newer" models are supposed to use the fine threaded 3/8" bolts, but it's unclear as to what is a "newer" model.

Use Grade 8 minimum, partially threaded (do not get fully threaded bolts)

ARP bolts are recommended replacements and they have 170,000 psi min tensile strength, about the same as Grade 9 (which BTW is used for the ring gear bolts and carrier bearing caps from the factory... go figure!).

Unless I find other info to say otherwise:

recommended torque is 40 ft-lb, threadlocker use is recommended.

The more horsepower you have, the better your chances of snapping these bolts.

I'd avoid using Grade 8 in this application due to the type of application and what Ford chose to use in the rear end (Grade 9 bearing cap bolts, Grade 9 ring gear bolts).

industrial SAE grade bolts are never used in race cars or aircraft, for reasons like this !
The quality control/material/heat teatment is too variable.

The only industrial type fasteners I've seen used in race applications are socket head cap screws from manufacturers like SPS (Unbrako), Holokrome, etc.
Their materials and manufacturing are far superior to conventional hex head SAE bolts. Anywhere a hex or 8 point bolt needs to be used, AN/MS/NAS hardware is generally used.
Of course, as you suggest, you also can't go past ARP.

I'm looking at getting either ARP or McMaster Grade 9 bolts.

I can't find anything stronger than Grade 8 in most of the hardware stores. I just need 8 bolts that won't cost me a fortune.
frown.gif

I wish they made these for Toyota 8" rear ends. I have a TRD (Eaton) LSD (not yet installed) but I'd rather get a helical gear rather than the clutch type. AFAIK theres no truetrac for toyotas. I hear its on the way for Titans though.

Just got off the phone with Tractech and the guy that designed the TrueTrac.

The problem was the bolts holding the side caps got loose over time and would back out, eventually hitting the bearing caps and shearing off the bolts.

Tractech fixed this late 2002 by using 3/8" - 24 fine thread bolts.
They have always used threadlocker, but that was not enough for the 3/8" - 16 coarse thread bolts.

They said we could technically use Grade 9 or ARP bolts for the 3/8"-16 coarse thread (no such animals available in 3/8"-24 fine thread, only Grade 8).

My particular differential, is 913A361, Ford 8.8" 28 spline, is a 2 pinion differential purchased early 2003 (probably made late 2002). and should have the "fix".

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
I wish they made these for Toyota 8" rear ends. I have a TRD (Eaton) LSD (not yet installed) but I'd rather get a helical gear rather than the clutch type. AFAIK theres no truetrac for toyotas. I hear its on the way for Titans though.

what year is your toyota? I have a trutrac in the front end of my 85 and a detroit in the rear. they are interchangable 8" third members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back